helichrysum

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

helichrysum
« on: December 09, 2010, 14:23 »
i mentioned helichrysum in some of my recent topics but there didn't seem to be much interest in growing this flower as you know it can be used both as a dried or cut flower and i just wondered if anyone apart from myself still grew helichrysum i think its a good flower because its a duel purpose flower and if grown rite its delightfully addition to any arrangements all be it winter or late summer often referred to as straw-flowers i find king size is a good variety to grow large double flowers
many vibrant colours and one can grow pastel colours if so desired [pastel mixed] :happy:

any takers :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: helichrysum
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 14:33 »
They are pretty and useful and I used to grow them when dried flower arrangement were all the rage, but quickly discovered how dusty they get in the house.

I no longer grow them for indoors, and find that it's easier for me to grow perennials for summer flowers in the garden.

Crusty

Re: helichrysum
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 16:22 »
it can be used both as a dried or cut flower and i just wondered if anyone apart from myself still grew helichrysum

I've grown helichrysum every year for at least 20 years, but I'm sure I've not noticed them around so much recently in shop/garden centre seed stands, although that doesn't particularly bother me as I save seed from mine every year.

I grow them for drying and as cut flowers, the latter mainly when the others I grow are coming to an end (and I have sufficient for drying), and mix them in with all sorts of odds & ends. Apart from the traditional hang them upside down to dry in bunches method, I also put them still slightly soft in our1920/30's wall pockets to finish drying so the blooms at the front will hang down slightly over the lip.

And yes they are a rather good dust trap, doing a magnificent job of keeping that nasty dust safely away from my furniture and furnishings.

xx
Helichrysum

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 16:44
by New shoot

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.