Preserving pears

• 3 Replies

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
Preserving pears
« on: August 24, 2010, 16:57 »
Anyone tried preserving pears??  I've got a glut of them this year and wondered if anyone has tried preserving them.  How would I do this???

Thanks for your help  :) :)

Trillium

Re: Preserving pears
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 19:55 »
Do you mean bottling pears? If so, I often do this. This link will give you more specific info as well as more bottling articles listed at the bottom:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment_foods/bottling-canning/Bottling-Canning-Methods.php

Basically, I prep all my bottles first and have the water bath and simple syrup ready. Then I take almost ripe pears and peel, quarter, core and slice them into a big bowl. I do only a few jars worth at a time so the fruit won't go dark. Fill the jars with fruit but only to within an inch of the top. Pour in hot syrup into each jar, poke a dull knife around sides to loosen air bubbles, top up syrup where necessary. Wipe jar tops off, place lids and rings on, and when I have enough jars to fill a boiling water bath pot, I put them to boil for 15 -20 min. Notice, the water bath is already boiling when the jars go in. I always set a timer. Once done, Remove carefully and let cool out of the way. Then check seals.

Another thing I do with ripe pears is to make pear juice/nectar. I wash down overripe pears, remove stems, bad spots, quarter them and add to a heavy bottomed stock pot with just a bit of water in the bottom to prevent scorching. I then set the pot on low and let it cook for an hour or two. Slowly is the key. Once mushy, I run the lot through a special strainer like a passata machine. I return it to the heat, sweeten to taste, then bottle them and waterbath them for about 15 minutes. If you don't want to invest in a strainer machine, then simply peel, core, and de-stem the pears before putting into the pot for cooking to mush. You can adjust thickness with a bit of water if necessary.

Here are some more ideas:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/category/fruit-recipe/pears-recipe/

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 22:12 »
Thanks for the ideas - yes I was thinking about bottling them, so that's great!  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 13:56 »
There are a few more recipes here

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/category/fruit-recipe/pears-recipe/

I can thoroughly recommend the pickled pears -- I make these to accompany our Christmas lunch every year  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Preserving Pears

Started by Grandy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 12:11
by Grandy
xx
Pears...

Started by Lily on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 21:07
by muntjac
xx
pears

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 21:29
by reb
xx
using up pears

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2006, 20:29
by muntjac

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 29 queries.