Fig plant.

• 10 Replies

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
Fig plant.
« on: May 29, 2010, 10:41 »
Hope someone can advise me on this one. My fig plant in a pot has thrown up two suckers, Can i remove them and put them on , If so what is the best method.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 13:10 by Motivator »
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

8doubles

Re: Fig plant.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:16 »
Yes, figs are easy. Just put them in a pot of soil and keep them watered and they will grow. Do the same with 2 yr old wood prunings cut in 4" lenths with one bud at the top.
 Push the cutting in so 1/2" is left showing and they will grow. :)

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 12:40 »
Can they be grown outdoors up here in Scotland or do they need a greenhouse? I'd love to grow figs.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 13:27 »
Can they be grown outdoors up here in Scotland or do they need a greenhouse? I'd love to grow figs.

Our fig tree survived the fairly cold winter we have just had with no problems but i think an outdoor fig will need a longer `warm season' than you get in your part of the country for the fruit to ripen.
If you have a warm , sheltered position in Edinburgh you may be okay.

Cazzy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 13:54 »
Hi Souixfly, I was wondering the same as I fancy one.

I found an old article that says "Figs are far hardier than people think. They are productive in sheltered places as far north as Scotland"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/3354107/Growing-figs.html

Its worth giving it a try.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 19:13 »
But if you've only one tree, it's difficult to make the decision to risk leaving it outside. Personally, I'd overwinter it in a greenhouse to keep off frost and rain which can do the most damage to figs. When we overwinter them in Ontario, we uproot most of the tree, push it into a trench, mostly fill trench with soil, top completely with insulation batting, top that with waterproof poly then tarp, and top with more soil. Its a lot of work but the figs pull through every year.

Cazzy

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 19:45 »
Right, I see.

I hadn't even given the overwintering a thought, I was thinking of our cool summers for ripening the fruit. 

Thanks Trillium

ex-cavator

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 23:58 »
I've got one growing in a pot by the front door but it's getting a bit big now ...

Must admit I hadn't thought of it before, but, would it be acceptable to stick it in the allotment? Or do they just grow too big? I don't know if the parish council would find it acceptable. If it was OK, would I expect to get ripe figs in a typical Oxfordshire summer (e.g. cold, windy, & wet), and if so, how old does a tree need to be to start producing?  :unsure:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 00:01 by ex-cavator »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 00:05 »
They do prefer sheltered sunny conditions but if it's a hardy variety it would probably be OK.  However, they do like their roots restricted in order to perform best so don't just put them in the open ground.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ex-cavator

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 00:15 »
Haven't got a clue what variety it is - they grow like weeds on sewage works, as the seeds just pass through ...  :lol: So, working for the water co., I can just take my pick. Mind you, they can be a devil to dig out 'cos the roots go on for ever, even on a small one, and what they grow in isn't always too pleasant  :wacko: So I was interested to read the bit about taking a cutting  ;)

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 21:23 »
i wouldn't recommend putting figs on your plot, i inherited two very mature trees on my plot and although the figs are sheer bliss, the roots go on forever and can't grow anything within 8 foot of them (except crocuses)

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
When shall I plant?

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 13:04
by Salmo
xx
What to plant now?

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2007, 17:14
by freyaluck

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 33 queries.