Late to bed !!

• 6 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Late to bed !!
« on: May 27, 2010, 21:16 »
My chickens have started going to bed very late it's still light. If I want an early night do you think it's mean to lock them up before they are ready. I feel bad putting them to bed when they are not ready
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Late to bed !!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 21:43 »
What time are they going to bed.

It's dark here by 9.30 now.  I don't go to bed that early !

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:27 »
well I sometimes go to bed earlier than that I don't sleep well and try and get a head start. I've been going to bed then setting my alarm for about 9:45 to put them in. I want to put them in about eight.  I looked at electric doors but mine is horizontal sliding. I could modify it I guess.  anyway will cooling them up for a bit before they are ready be a problem? I feel bad doing it but surely once they are in they will nod off?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:42 »
If you have a large coup (such as a shed with only a few chickens in it) you could try chucking some corn in to get them to in. However shortening their daylight hours will mean that their egg production will go down - poultry breeders add artificial lighting in their hen houses to keep production of eggs up  :(. I usually get up at 5 and normally go to bed about 9 - 9.30 but whilst the days are lighter I too am having to wait until 10pm so that my girls and boys can go when they are ready.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:41 »
Mine go in at about 9.45 - 10pm.  It is still quite light then here.  There are some evenings I think, I would like to go to bed at about 9.30 and it is then that they seem to decide 10pm is a much better time to go to bed.  There is still another month before the longest day and that means lighter evenings with us until about 11pm.  It will be interesting to see what time they head off to bed then.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 08:51 »
I think you need an automatic pop hole door wolverine  :)

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 15:26 »
mine seem to make there way off to bed at about 8.30 then they are  camping behind the hatch door waiting for nightly treats :lol:

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.