what rotovator

• 11 Replies

keljacs

what rotovator
« on: February 28, 2010, 22:22 »
as a newbie to the site i was wanting some advice about which rotovator to get.the plot we have is around 8 x 30 mtrs by the time a path goes down the garden and shed and greenhouse are at the bottom,what would you recommend as a rotovator ,e.g. one with large tilling distance or a small tilling distance so it could be used throughout the year between rows.regards jack

Gwiz

Re: what rotovator
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:37 »
I'm quite lucky as I have two. A larger old Merry tiller, and a small Ryobi tiller that I use more frequently to "tilth up the soil" ;)
As regards make, I'm pro Honda. They are very reliable and unlikely to go out of business, so parts shouldn't be a problem in the future. Others here have recently bought some of the Chinese imported machines, and they seem very happy with them.
I reckon it's just down to personal preference in the end. Whatever you buy, you will discover the best way of using that particular rotovator.... :)

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 19:50 »
I have one of the chinese imports well satisfied as Gwiz said you have to find the best way to use it

Goldfinger

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 20:44 »
I have one of the chinese imports well satisfied as Gwiz said you have to find the best way to use it

Hi pipfit, can you tell me what make it is 'only if you can with it being chinese', and where you purchased it?? Ebay, etc??

Baz

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 23:10 »
Goldfinger, as pipfit is not around, praps I can help
This is where I got mine from

LINK

But there are/were about 4 sellers offering the same machine from about £350 to 400 including shipping, though the prices are gradually creeping up!
Just have a search through category "Rotovators/ Aerators" on ebay.....and all RTV's will be there
Well pleased with mine
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 19:49 by Aunt Sally »
Baz.........
Mostly organic...

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 14:56 »
I have the "chinese model" as per the e-bay link, though the labelling on the box shows it actually came from the USA.

I'm happy enough with mine. I was keen to go for the self propelled type and couldn't afford, or justify the £1000 - 1200 that branded machines seem to start from. It is a lot easier to use than standard tillers which have the engine mounted over the tines, but bear in mind that the tines all rotate the same way, unlike the branded machines which often have counter rotating tines.

This all means that if you try and dig too deep into uncultivated ground the machine tries to run away with you. The answer is to make two or three passes at increasing depths. Even doing this I managed to do most of my 9 x 33 meter plot in an afternoon without feeling totally shattered afterwards, and it does have good depth - maybe not the 18inches / 450mm that it advertised but not far short of that.

There are concerns, of course. Will it last as long as the more expensive machines - I doubt it, and don't really expect it to. Will I find engine parts if anything goes wrong, there is an address with the machine for service spares but i doubt they'll carry much more than spark plugs etc but it's certainly doing the job for me so far.

As with anything else buy the best you can afford. If £350 - £400 is your budget you have a straight choice between something like this or a much lighter duty machine from a known brand.

There is a third option, which is buying second hand, but I found very few self propelled machines around and even really tatty ones were fetching several hundred pounds.
I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

Goldfinger

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 18:08 »

Thanks for the ebay link and info peeps, I checked it and I think its not a bad buy. Especially if it has got a Honda engine fitted as in the picture, (parts / servicing etc)

It's not as if it's going to be hammered like a landscape gardeners machine where it's digging into all sorts of unknown ground, full of god knows what.

Lotty holders would have been through their plots many times over the years removing stones etc and already worked the land before rotorvators were even invented!!

So I think it's not just what you buy, but how you treat it. £350 ? ? Bargain for a new machine. I better start saving  :) :)

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 23:27 »
IMO secondhand branded rotovator still better than new chinese one.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 23:33 »
IMO secondhand branded rotovator still better than new chinese one.

I love my very old Howard 200. What a shame they are no longer made.   :(

I also have a Ryobi tiller but can I get it started this year  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 23:34 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 04:49 »
In my experience RYOBI tools not that bad-bad   :) I used some power tools while ago and can say - they are fine for hi-end DIY, but not for heavy duty commercial usage. Anyway IMO RYOBI is much better quality then other chinese brands

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:25 »
i have a honda f510 cost me a arm and a leg i hope it will see me till the end of my days it has a lot of power if you need it i had a honda 501  before nice bit of kit but some low life took it

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21 »
i have a honda f510 cost me a arm and a leg i hope it will see me till the end of my days it has a lot of power if you need it i had a honda 501  before nice bit of kit but some low life took it
It will, just keep it under the roof  :wub:

xx
Rotovator

Started by mick0204 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 07:30
by Digger Tom
xx
rotovator id if you can please

Started by binner on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 19:56
by binner
xx
Help with my rotovator

Started by Bodmin29 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 08:39
by Topscaff
xx
Rotovator

Started by greetwellboy on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 18:26
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 36 queries.