Get 'em in early

• 16 Replies

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
Re: Get 'em in early
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 17:14 »
All potato deliveries have halted just now but I hope that I can get some picked up tomorrow in a temperature controlled wagon.
You must treat seed potatoes with great care and attention. Keep away from frost at all costs. If you see seed potatoes in stores just now check for weeping tubers and have a quick sniff at them. You will soon know if something is wrong.
We will only send potatoes out now at the risk of the buyer but 90% of garden centres know not to take them when it is this cold.
Once you get them home try and keep them at around 4degrees as this is the ideal temp to stop the potatoes from breaking dormancy. If they have been in a warm shop for a while then the process might have already started and all you can do is slow them down.
If you need to break chits off then be careful not to rip the eyes out as that will stop any growth.
Make sure the tubers can get fresh air where ever you store them as potatoes breathe.
To make the most of you potatoes you should remove the rose end chits and this will provide you with stronger haulms that will give you a better crop.
Hope that helps.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

MoreWhisky

Re: Get 'em in early
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 17:31 »
Nice to hear from you again Iain, i found your posts very helpfull last yr (my first yr)  and havent bought a spud ages  :).
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen
xx
Is it too early.......?

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 21:23
by starry

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 31 queries.