Planting Strawberry Plants. Spacing?

• 8 Replies

swaine

Planting Strawberry Plants. Spacing?
« on: October 15, 2009, 23:00 »
I'm going to try growing some strawberry plants for the first time.

The general advice seems to be 18" between plants and 30" between rows.

Because of the shape of the plot, I'd like to plant 2 rows but with a reduced spacing between rows of about 18" (instead of the recommended 30").

Can anyone tell me if the 30" between rows is required for access to the plants, or because the plants don't grow too well if the rows are closer than 30".

savbo

Re: Planting Strawberry Plants. Spacing?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:56 »
OH's dad planted them 18" both ways, staggered, and they grew fantastically well... BTW he planted them on raised ridges, planted through weed fabric, lots of dung in the bed when it was made...

M

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:42 »
I think the main problem would be access for picking as there won't be much clear ground between the plants to put your feet. however, if you can access from either side of the block of plants then don't see why it shouldn't work.

swaine

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 23:33 »
Thanks for the advice Nobbie and Savbo.

Savbo. You say that the strawberries were planted through weed fabric. That sounds a good idea. Did you just anchor the fabric down against movement by the wind, and the berries rested on the fabric,  or did you put some sort of mulch or straw down as well on top of the fabric?

We're 800ft up in the Pennines so as you would guess we suffer a lot from wind!!!

savbo

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:46 »
Charlie's ridges are about 4' across and about a foot high in the middle, built up with rotted dung. He used to plant straight into that but once he got some weed fabric (our birthday present well down well that year!) he tucked the edges of the fabric into the soil with the tip of the spade until it was nice and tight, and then cut small (3"-4") crosses in the fabric and squeezed the young plants in through that. plants are far enough apart that you can see what's fruiting, strawbs lie nicely on the clean surface, and runners sort of lie on the surface making them easier to remove or gather for replanting...

Our new plot has a horribly congested 2mx2m strawberry plot so one of first jobs when we get possession will be to mimic Charlie's beds...

M

LeadFarmer

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 13:43 »
I planted some strawberry plants outside earlier this spring. Didnt get any fruit though!

So can I just leave them out in the raised bed? I was going to bring them into the greenhouse. Sounds like there is no need.

Cheers

savbo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 14:15 »
they need some frost for flowers to develop... so leave them out for the winter but bring some into g'house in early spring for early fruit and leave the rest for later

M

swaine

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 19:13 »
Savbo.
I like your suggestion for some early strawberries  :)

I have some plastic troughs about 2ft long 9" wide and 9" deep. So I fill them with a soil/compost mix, plant say 2 strawberry plants per trough and bury the troughs into an outside bed over the winter, with the soil in the trough level with the soil in the outside bed. In the Spring (March?) I dig up the troughs and put them into the greenhouse.

Does that sound about right?

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 19:49 »
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_february_2_strawberry.asp

You may wish to check-out this link. Regarding Strawberry growing. I have checked the advice and recommendations and can find no reference for the need of frost for a successful strawberry crop. In fact, if the area where you live is prone to very hard frosts? The advice is do not plant strawberries until April!!! The link does recommend an Autumn planting. For a long growing season? We in the South have had recently so many balmy winters. If frost is required? Planting Strawberries would be a waste of time and money.

xx
Planting strawberry plants

Started by Paul Jackson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 19:15
by Paul Jackson
xx
planting strawberry plants/runners

Started by lanky lurcher on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 12:05
by lanky lurcher
xx
mulching new strawberry plants and companion planting

Started by mike86 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 21:56
by al78
xx
Spacing of Strawberry's

Started by Veg Plot 1B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2018, 14:18
by Veg Plot 1B

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 37 queries.