Going slow...

• 14 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
Going slow...
« on: August 02, 2009, 23:39 »
my vegies seem to be slow compared to most on here...

tomatoes have fruits but all green, courgettes and squash plants seem small, have lots of flower buds but hardly any fruits, some runner beans only just ready, beetroot doing ok, only had one savoy ready, onions and garlic all small- were grown in tubs, broccoli.... a waste of time... didnt get anything on big enough to eat bef flowered, (i did check which one i got) cauli not doing much, pepper plants tiny except one which is different type and doing ok.

Sweetcorn is about 2-3ft high and has cobs forming-- never grown before so dont know if normal....

Potatoes did well  -  best in tubs also broad beans did well.....

is all this about right or is it just me

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Re: Going slow...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55 »
Some stuff is good, some not so good.

I've loads of peppers but my runner beans are only just flowering. I can't get beetroot to stay alive much past germination!

For your squashes try hand pollinating if you've lots of flowers but no fruits. Just pull the centre out of the male flower and stick it in the female flower (the one with baby squash behind).

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:01 »
My runners only really started last week and yesterday we harvested 3lb so once they start you wont be able to stop them. Courgettes were also behind others but got the hint in the end that I needed some.

try telling them to hurry up  :D

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:15 »
Hi Sazzy123,
don't worry - my toms also all green bar a few; runners?: - what runners - they've just started flowering last week, so may get a few before the frosts - courgettes also diddly; squash have flower buds but not opened yet.
I forgot my garlics was where it was as tops had died off and emptied all the fire ash onto them, so they can stay where they are and grow again next year  ::)
Onions cr*p also but planted too late! Loads of small peppers, need some sun to speed them up.
Spuds good, kale going great, blackberries really good (not cultivated those though, just inherited them!)
Think it'll be a late harvest - provided the blight doesn't strike first!!!

madcat

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:08 »
Ditto - might get my first picking of runners tonight.  Toms - what there are of them - are relentlessly green.  Cougettes are just about keeping up - but no glut. 

Onions were good, but getting them dry in this weather?   ???

We need some sun!   >:(  Humans as well as plants ..... 8)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Debz

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:46 »
I am having the same issues.  My tomatoes are all still green, my french beans are only just flowering, my broad beans might be nearly ready and my mange tout have been rubbish.  My potatoes in pots have been pretty good and my onions look promising although they are not ready yet.  I am trying to be patient with the tomatoes but really prefer to eat the fresh ones from the greenhouse rather than shop bought bland ones!

Parsnip

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:55 »
A lot also depends on when you planted them. If you look around your alottment you'll see that people have crops ready to harvest at different times, because they plant at different times... :)

But I agree we need some sun, I'm dying to eat my toms, although I have found two nearly ready today.. :ohmy:

diggerjoe

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 14:12 »
My stuffs all on a go slow as well. Courgettes not to bad but I have four plants and I am still standing there asking them to just try a bit harder as we have used them all and waiting for the next lot. Beans very slow, flowers but no beans yet - only thing going great is beetroot but only the ones I transplanted, those sown direct no good just leaf and then they flower. Need the sun for my toms best year ever and all still green!!

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 15:51 »
I am so glad I am not alone with veg not growing. This is my first year and I thought I was doing  something wrong. Had a few peas but not masses, 4 beetroot, carrots ok and potatoes ok, courgettes about 4 ins. Tom although there are masses are all green and just noticed this morning I must have a slug in greenhouse...... Of course its well hidden so I am making a beer trap.
Onions are not much bigger than a shallot and my corn are about 2ft but after speaking to a lady on a veg stall at Tatton she tells m not to put corn out until its at least 2/3 ft.

Hopefully better luck next year. I am loving it though. It certainly is a bug.. and not the hairy kind.. :)

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 16:46 »
2-3ft before putting sweetcorn out??? Seems a bit large to me. I put mine out when they are about 6" tall & so far so good. I agree though some things are much more stunted this year - my onward peas are very short. All this rain interspersed with warm days should be good for growing, but the soil was very dry when most sowings were done in spring & I think that might be the problem.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 16:54 »
I am so glad I am not alone with veg not growing. This is my first year and I thought I was doing  something wrong. Had a few peas but not masses, 4 beetroot, carrots ok and potatoes ok, courgettes about 4 ins. Tom although there are masses are all green and just noticed this morning I must have a slug in greenhouse...... Of course its well hidden so I am making a beer trap.
Onions are not much bigger than a shallot and my corn are about 2ft but after speaking to a lady on a veg stall at Tatton she tells m not to put corn out until its at least 2/3 ft.

Hopefully better luck next year. I am loving it though. It certainly is a bug.. and not the hairy kind.. :)

My corn went out tiny infact let me rush off to photobucket and I will see what I can find, two tics

and she returns after crashing photobucket account twice  ::)

Bombers

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 17:35 »
Looks about right to me BQ!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 18:00 »
Your sweetcorn look good. When was the middle photo taken, as mine look somewhere inbetween the first and second picture.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 19:07 »
Your sweetcorn look good. When was the middle photo taken, as mine look somewhere inbetween the first and second picture.

Not completely sure but I will try and find out from the main image file hubby keeps he dates everything unlike me, chuck it in a bucket and see  :lol:

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 22:09 »
thanks for your replies, Im glad its not just me..... my squash were planted ages ago but seem to have stopped growing since i put them out, hoping they pick up soon....

corn looks good in pics mine looks similair

xx
Slow

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 16:10
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Slow growing

Started by lizby1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 00:48
by Knoblauch
xx
Slow decline.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2020, 10:31
by basketcase
xx
Why are butternuts so slow?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 00:25
by chilli-pot

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 34 queries.