Shop bought potted basil! help!!

• 12 Replies

violet61

Shop bought potted basil! help!!
« on: April 30, 2009, 16:35 »
Hi, Has anyone successfully divided a potted supermarket basil before, I read in mag it can be done, tried, half died a death, the others look pathetic :(   Incidently in pots around house not outside. Any help, anyone, thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Shop bought potted basil! help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 16:53 »
It can be done, but bear in mind shop bought herbs are grown for quick sale and are cultivated for very rapid foliage growth and are intrinsically not a very strong plant for growing on.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shaun

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 16:57 »
I have bought a few of these potted herbs from the supermarket but not had much look with basil.some did make it but like you a few snuffed it.
the best i have done are chives and parsley,the chives i planted in a wooden planter last summer done great died back in the winter and have come back this spring big time.
the parsley i just split and planted in a large tub and grew brilliant,moved into the greenhouse before the winter and had fresh parsley for most of the winter until it gave up,i done some more a few weeks back and they are doing fine, outside at the moment in the rain.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Cazzy

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 18:06 »
I buy these regularly out of season (mainly basil, coriander and parsley)  I'm lucky if they last 2/3 days on my window sill, I did try potting  basil on but it didn't do well at all.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 19:50 »
I find that allthiose supermarket herbs seem to do ok if you put them into a bigger pot as soon as you get them.  I had parsley that lasted all year, basil that got to a good size & I currently have coriander that's doing really well.  The only one I haven't had a lot of success with is mint, it goes ok but can't cope with the winter.  I only ever buy them when they're reduced in price.

garddwr

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 20:44 »
Oh the shop bought herbs are awful IMHO ! The ones from tesc* come in a plastic wrapper things and they basicaly support  the plant from falling over,they also have a sell by date ! I did manage to have success with coriander but I did as sian240 said potted them on after cutting them down and they grew back but I never had success with basil.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 20:52 »
I have done this with a cheap shop bought basil pot for several years for early basil. I just split them up and put them into new compost and then put them into my cool greenhouse. Remember that the shop bought plants will have been without proper light and air, water for a few days. They should be split up immediately and given good care and attention.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 20:53 »
I've got a pot full of basil on the window ledge bought at the end of Feb :)
Use it as required at first take out whole stems at a time rather than tops. This thins it out a bit, once it's thinned start taking the tops to use so it then gets bushy.
I give it a weak liquid feed when i think about it. Seems to work :)
I grew rosemary from a box of stems sold in Tesc@ and planted thyme and mint straight out in garden, no probs. and they're still ok even after this cold winter 8)

Cazzy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 21:13 »
I grew rosemary from a box of stems sold in Tesc@

How did you go about that? I'd like to give it a try.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 21:17 »
Yea, I've got a Sains basil plant from February still going strong.  And a fair but of success last year.  All inside, on sunny window.  Didnt even bother potting on - just feed occassionally.  I think the key is to wait until its pretty dried out - almost until the leaves look like their dying, then give it a good soaking.  For some reason, mine dont like regular little watering.

found this out accidently through neglect  :lol:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 21:20 »
heehee!
i agree wit hkermit.

i get a pot of basil from sainsbury's at the beginning of the summer: usally i separate it into two and pot up.
they seem to like rubbish soil/compost - no feed or anything.
keep it on the windowsill all summer then they die in the winter - don't know if it's because my kitchen gets too cold.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 21:28 »
I grew rosemary from a box of stems sold in Tesc@

How did you go about that? I'd like to give it a try.
First i found a pack that looks fresh. I gave the bottom of the stems a clean cut, pulled of some of the bottom leaflets and dibbed them round the outside of a pot filled with damp sandy soil. Put a placcy bag over the top with an elastic band and put it on a warm window ledge, not direct sun but behind a net curtain is fine if it is a sunny window. Just left it till it looked as if it was making new growth...Good luck :)

Clearer with pics so look here http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/rosemary-cuttings/

violet61

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 08:35 »
So theres hope for me yet! Thanks for sharing info folks, I ll try again as soon as it warms up a little, then just leave outside. But yes I've found out it prefers to be on the dry side & as for those plastic bag things >:(   Usually I buy pot basil, leave a few days & when it looks like dying a death, pluck all leaves & freeze. I've got a parsley from a few years ago, thats doing brill & I ll certainly try some coriander in a pot.

xx
Shallots from shop bought

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 26, 2016, 18:10
by Paul Plots
xx
Can shop bought compost go off?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 07:57
by fatcat1955
question
shop-bought compost

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Planting Shop bought potatoes

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 10:46
by digalotty

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 30 queries.