Who's delaying sowing?

• 27 Replies

tallulah

Who's delaying sowing?
« on: February 12, 2009, 17:27 »
Well, it still feels like mid-winter to me - in fact its particularly cold, dark and miserable at the moment.  Intuitively I feel that there's no point sowing anything just now, even tho it would be indoors.  So I haven't, so far.  I'm tempted to wait until March - but is that a bit late for some seeds that should've been started in feb?  wonder what others think.  I can't help but think that they'll all catch up anyway ...

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
Re: Who's delaying sowing?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 17:35 »
i am doing exactly the same...i really want to get cracking but all the stuff i have for feb is sew directly into the harvesting place, and there is no way that i am risking it at the mo...it is driving me nutty...i want to get on and do!!!!!!! :wacko:

Yabba

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 17:47 »
I've started loads of stuff already, because I'm optimistic :D ... but every single seed has a backup waiting to be put in at the right time, because I'm also a realist ;)

¥

Greasehog

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 18:57 »
Too cold and snowy here still to do anything straight into the groun :(d
Every gardener needs a good hoe'

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 19:15 »
I've started a few things I'll grow under cover, but my main sowings are still in the shoebox.  If this nicer weather continues, I'll have a rethink next week.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 19:17 »
The only thing I could get in the ground at the moment is a chisel!!!!  We're under about 3 inches of snow again, and my polytunnel and greenhouses are housing all the stuff that is usually in the shed where the turkeys are, so I've got no chance at the moment.

May sow some chilli seeds now I've got a bit of room in the dining room and back bedroom, and perhaps a few tomatoes.

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 21:08 »
I've got onion, leek and red cabbage seeds sown in various containers on my kitchen window sills - I only did them last weekend but that's when the packet told me to do them, and my red cabbage is sprouting already.  It said 14-21 days on the packet, but my kitchen really isn't very warm, so I don't know why they are in such a rush!!  Some Savoy cabbage will be squeezed onto the window sill this weekend.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 22:12 »
I follow the packet guide lines. I've set leek, cauliflower, and onion in the shed, but thats it. Wont be setting anything else just yet.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 23:04 »
chillis, tomatoes and herbs sown indoors last weekend, spuds chitting in potting shed but under 2 layers of covers to keep frost off as run out of paraffin, been bloomin cold here.  Forgotten what my lottie looks like!!

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 23:45 »
Still 6 inches of snow on the ground. Soil frozen solid. Another 2 inches of snow this evening.

But wait!!! The weather man says 10 degrees by the middle of next week!!!

3 weeks of mild weather may see us planting at the usual time after all. I am sitting tight and planting nothing.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 07:34 »
I'm waiting for a little bit, mainly because the ground is so wet I can't do anything anyway!

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 07:44 »
its typical...it will about get warm just as i fly off on holiday, and will then be behind when i get back... :nowink:  not by much tho....havent got that long a holiday..

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 12:00 »
Nothing outside yet, just waiting to sow some parsnips. last year the early sowing didn't come to much and sowed again in March and they were fine. Will put a heater in the cold frame to warm the soil before starting off some salad stuff.

Just sown some leeks, celeriac and calabrese in trays on the window sill, so the season has started :)

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 12:49 »
I've got garlic in pots.  Currently outside and covered in snow but I understand that this not a hardship for garlic.  I may struggle to successfully transplant them.  Time will tell.

I've got some spuds chitting but everything else is staying indoors until this weather warms up.  I'll be spending a few hours at the plot this weekend but just to have a tidy up.

My PSB has taken a battering from the birds in the last week or so with all this snow.  Actually, I've got a few PSB problems which I'll pester you all with over the weekend once I've got some decent snow free pictures of my problem.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

diggerjoe

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 16:59 »
my plot is waterlogged again and the greenhouse far too cold - I shall be clearing window cills  this weekend, much to the anoyance of OH, ready for first lot of seeds to get going - I was bit late last year and intend to get moving a bit quicker this year :)

xx
sowing?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 15:49
by LivvyW
xx
Sowing now

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 19:31
by mumofstig
xx
Sowing Now?

Started by rutters on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 22:55
by WG.
xx
sowing now

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2020, 23:31
by mrsbean

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 36 queries.