cut and come again lettuce.

• 6 Replies

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« on: January 20, 2009, 21:27 »
i fancy giving them ago this year,any suggestions or addvise?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 21:42 »
Take the outside leaves only as they grow, loose leaf lettuce are ideal, or you could buy a packet of "salad Leaves" seeds which is usually a good mix of 4-6 different lettuce types like Lollo Rosso, etc.
They don't like it too hot so semi shade will do them fine keep them well watered, don't let them dry out.

I've just sown a row in the greenhouse, along with some early nantes carrots to see if I can get a few early  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Plotbabe

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 21:50 »
Got a seed tray full on the go in my kitchen - easy peezy - just bung em in and wait!

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 00:39 »
Last year I decided  to cut and come again instead of pulling the whole plant, my lettuces were romaine chartwell from Thompson and Morgan. Worked very well for me, except you never really get the tasty heart part, unless you pull the odd plant up, not really a prob for me as I grow loads of lettuce.  Also works well with little gem and Lettuce Cos Parris Island.  I also grew mixed salad leaves and a lettuce called 'Salad bowl', which also comes in red (haven't tried that yet).  'Salad bowl' lettuce is great for cut and come again.  You can get it most anywhere but T&M sell it Suttons sell salad bowl prob cheaper.

I use pots no particular reason, well I say pots but they are in reality the old blue mushroom boxes that tesc o chuck in there rubbish cages.

As richy said they don't like weather too hot, think they go to seed (spurt up and flower).

Don't grow butterheads cos don't like them.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:37 »
Started a very small salad patch in the garden last year (before I found I had an allotment), and this half by 2m area kept us in salad leaves May to Oct. Half was mixed leaf salad, the other half cut and come lettuce. With these I planted them close together, and progressively thinned them, eating the thinnings. When they got mature i cut off the whole top and new leaves come from the base; that way got a heart the first time (but not a real one later).

Charlie

DIGGER

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 13:40 »
I grow in containers in the garden. To much hassle going to the lotte to pick.
So one container a month.

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 13:46 »
[/QUOTE]When they got mature i cut off the whole top and new leaves come from the base;

Good point Chimaera, forgot to say I also did this in the year before last, works well i.e. don't pull the whole thing out just cut of head at base  :shock: and new leaves will grow.

xx
Need something different to lettuce

Started by Notty1975 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 23:23
by Pimento
xx
Lettuce

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 14:16
by gobs
xx
Little Gem lettuce

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 09:16
by Debz
xx
Lettuce

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 17:05
by Kristen

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 34 queries.