Cactus

• 6 Replies

Elcie

Cactus
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:54 »
Hi, has anyone tried growing cactus (or is it cactii??) plants?  My daughter's boyfriend loves them so I planted a pack of seeds and have got 5 little plants in 3" pots after transplanting.  Three of them look like grass!  Anyone have any idea what to do next or do I just watch, water and wait!!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
Cactus
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:03 »
I've got a pack of seed as well but haven't tried them as yet. Must have a go. Hold back on the water though, keep to a minimum.
Val
Recipes Galore!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Cactus
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 16:44 »
I've grown them from seed before and they are quite rewarding, Tho' some take a long while to germinate,so you may get some more yet. My mum's got one that I grew from seed before I got married so it must be 21+ yrs old.

As Val said be careful with the watering  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Elcie

Cactus
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 20:12 »
Thanks for the advice!  I think I might be watering them too much as I do a little once or twice a week.  Should I water little and often, little and rarely or something else??

If I ever find my camera lead for the computer I will take some photos to show you!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Cactus
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 20:19 »
IMHO the best thing to do is not let them dry out completely, but at the same time don't keep them too damp.
If you can squeeze moisture out of the compost with your finger tips don't water them.

Faz

• Experienced Member
Cactus
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 18:12 »
At this time of year they only need a little and not very often. In the summer when they are growing they will appreciate being kept damp most of the time. If you pot them on into a sandy based medium it will be easier to rewet them when you've let them go bone dry. It is also a good idea not to feed them as they go squishy and can be prone to rot.

As you can tell, I've grown them before :) Are the little uns still in a propagator or have they come out of there already?

Porffor

Cactus
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 18:29 »
i've grown them from tiny pots (as in B&Q etc) and made up my own little 'gardens'.. nice and easy, flowering varieties are rewarding too :)
Also had a cowboy style one that grew quite large. :) All rehomed eventually as they outgrew the space i had available to them.

Good luck with the seeds :)

xx
my cactus

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 17:27
by chrissie B
xx
Flowering cactus

Started by Bagpuss on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2007, 07:27
by Bagpuss
xx
Cactus advice please.

Started by mtoyne on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:35
by DD.
xx
Christmas cactus

Started by sunshineband on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 21:17
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 35 queries.