Egg Eating

• 4 Replies

cookieb

Egg Eating
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:44 »
Hi
One of our hens has recently started eating eggs, she had been laying the odd shell-less egg beforehand so perhaps has acquired the taste?  My book advises the use of beak rings.  Does anyone know where i can buy them on-line as can't seem to find anywhere, also whether anyone has used them successfully - or any other tips.  We have six hens which we got in July so are quite new to this.  3 were POL and 3 ex-battery.  Its one of the ex-battery that is eating the eggs.  Due to the 5-6 shell less eggs could it suggest a calcium deficiency?  They are fed on organic pellets and corn treat plus lots of kitchen veggies and fruit left overs.
Many thanks
Bev

Vember

Egg Eating
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:47 »
I think Bodger had some, best bet is to send him a PM and I'm sure he'll get you sorted :)

Here's an article he's written on improving your layers you'll be able to send him a PM from there :D
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=22990

Welcome to the Hen house by the way :)

Sarah :)

Bodger

Egg Eating
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 17:13 »
I have some . PM me your address. :D

chookiepaula

Egg Eating
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 17:17 »
You can by porcelain eggs which she can try to eat all day but wont break, or youo can fill an egg with something untasty like mustard soon makes them stop! Youre right though to consider her diet, shell-less eggs and egg eating can be signs of calcium deficiecy. Make sure she has access to oyster shell grit, this has calcium unlike normal grit. Or supplement her her feed for a little while, can get one called Nutribal which is designed for birds.
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

mother hen

• Experienced Member
Egg Eating
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 20:05 »
We had a couple of rhode island reds that were egg eaters, we tried golf balls - same idea as porcelain eggs and mustard to no avail, they were kept in a hen / run situation and we wondered if they were bored, in the end I gave them to a friend to free range and they were fine for him.  Just a thought.......hope that you can sort them out  :scratch:  :idea:
janet

question
Is she eating too much?

Started by ezlingling on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2017, 04:33
by ezlingling
sad
hen not eating

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 14:27
by ANHBUC
xx
Egg eating -help!

Started by SOURIS on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 14:13
by Bodger
xx
Not eating much

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 15:34
by joyfull

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 35 queries.