Advice on a pallet compost bin

• 4 Replies

zucchiniqueen

« on: May 11, 2008, 20:16 »
Today I got two pallets (one used to be a box shape, but had to be dismantled to get it in the car) to build a compost heap from the allotment. Most of the pictures I have seen have had three sided ones - we have two good sides, and maybe a third dodgy side if we construct something ourselves...
Anyway, once I have a three-sided structure, do I just plonk it on the ground & fill it up, or do I need to dig it into the ground a bit to keep it stable, or dig under it to get it rotting well, and should I leave it open, or cover it up with something to make it rot better?
I guess I'm asking for any advice folks have on this topic! I have only composted in bins before, so this is all a bit new
Thanks in advance  :)

Brambles

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 21:12 »
I am a fairly novice gardener, but I made a very successful compost bin last year.   I just got 4 pallets, WIRED them together into a square-ish shape on a patch of grass by my veggies.   I just threw in my weeds, cuttings, kitchen waste etc. covered it with cardboard and "chipped bark" bags.   And this Spring I got some beautiful compost, dark and crumbly and smelt lovely.   Lots of worms too. :D

flash

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:32 »
I've got 3, 3 sided ones I built. Nailed together on bare earth. I've packed the gaps with rolled up newspaper and wrapped the 3 sides in thick (scaffolders) plasic. to keep the heat up. Plastic lids and I've devised slatted fronts.
My leaf mulch are in 3 builders sand bags (the big ones the builders mercahnts deliver to sites) stakedin 4 corners and covered in heavy duty plastic.

Brambles

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 17:20 »
Much more "up market" than my efforts Flash, but will try and aim for your ideas this summer.   Not even more expensive than mine!  Like it, thank you

zucchiniqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 17:23 »
Thanks for your replies - I'll do a bit more planning and scheming, raid the shed and get going this weekend!

clip
My Pallet Compost Bin.

Started by MickyB on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2013, 20:11
by Trillium
xx
Pallet compost bins

Started by ThatsNice on Design and Construction

27 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 08:45
by fatcat1955
xx
Plastic pallet compost bin

Started by Porcia on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 06:41
by Porcia
xx
Pallet Compost Bin (Photo's)

Started by john_ch on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 23:45
by noshed

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 36 queries.