Homegrown Carrots

• 26 Replies

iwantanallotment

Homegrown Carrots
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:08 »
Just wondering, is it usual for homegrown fresh carrots to taste stronger than shop bought?
I suspect it is to a degree...but when I served up a freshly picked assortment of Nantes, Little Finger & Jaunes De Doube baby carrots on Sunday, they went down like a lead balloon  :cry:
I hate carrots, so didn't have any myself. But those that did remarked how "strong" they were....and promptly left them. Apart from a fellow carrot hater who loved them!

I was told by one person that they're too strong and need to be roasted, like parsnips.

Did I do something wrong, or is this normal? I was hoping my homegrown veg would be better than shop bought, not worse!

Trillium

Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:29 »
I've had that problem on occasion, usually when the carrots didn't get enough water during the growing season. Like cukes, they're almost bitter which is the 'strong' taste everyone mentioned. And sometimes too much fertilizer will also affect taste, which is why I manure my patches.
Raw, they're not so nice when like this. Best to either boil, stew or bake them, perhaps with a touch of honey when baking.

iwantanallotment

Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:46 »
Thanks for your reply, Trillium.
They've been watered daily, unless we had heavy rain. And I've added no fertilizer at all - they're in compost, but the goodies in that only last 5 weeks.
Could that be where I went wrong?
They just didn't seem to need it, were so healthy and strong, so I let them be.
Is that where I went wrong, do you think?
Oh, and they were boiled.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:44 »
people left them because they were too strong??!!

i much prefer my homegrown because they have more flavour and are stronger in flavour.  i think supermarket ones taste bland compared to homegrown.

could it be that they are not used to such fantastic homegrown produce?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:54 »
Jenny B's right. The problem is that people have got 'educated' to the bland tastless stuff from the supermarkets.

At least it the right shape though.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:53 »
just microwaving them for a minimum amount of time in a small amount of water, in the microwave, retains colour and flavour. Tight fitting lid helps  :D

I think you're spot on about the flavour. Their taste buds need educating  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:07 »
One year I had some carrots that tasted a bit bitter, but it never happened again and I don't know why it happened, but like the others say, don't expect your home grown stuff to taste like supermarket pap.

When we first started growing our own chickens, I said to brian has this one gone off because it smells funny.  No he said, that's what its supposed to smell like.  but it wasn't until earlier this year when I gave one to someone and she said It smells like a chicken, earthy and everything, and I realised that she is right.  If I pick up one of the chickens and smell them, it smells just the same, but supermarket chicken only smells of anything when its off!!! lol

But if you don't like carrots, only grow a few for 'others' and concentrate on growing stuff you like!

neil1967

Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:17 »
I grew some in a container of multipurpose compost and although the kids enjoyed them my wife didn't.
I have also grown some at the lotty directly in soil which my wife likes, so maybe it is something to do with the compost.

Neil

Johnnywesto

Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 12:29 »
As mentioned previously it's all due to what the great British public have become accustomed to as regards mass produced supermarket stuff.

Last year was the first time that me and the nipper grew carrots (early Nantes) in pots on the patio - we reckon they tasted superb but the g/f took one bite and declared the "too carroty" and wouldn't touch any of the rest.

This years multi-coloured crop (white/yellow/purple) have provoked the same response "too carroty and the colour isn't right for a carrot - you can't eat a white carrot!"

Our 8 y.o. son can't get enough of them - pulls them, quick wash under the garden tap and chomp away on 'em raw :D
I'm off for a pint

compostqueen

Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 15:18 »
Well brung up lad  :wink:

jennyb

• My Blog
Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 21:50 »
Quote from: "Johnnywesto"
This years multi-coloured crop (white/yellow/purple) have provoked the same response "too carroty and the colour isn't right for a carrot - you can't eat a white carrot!"

Our 8 y.o. son can't get enough of them - pulls them, quick wash under the garden tap and chomp away on 'em raw :D

where did you get the multi coloured from?  i searched high and low but couldn't find either them or purple haze,  so i  settled for yellow stone instead.

i often find watering hard work  :roll:  so need a little sustinance and when our waterbutts were empty i discovered that with a hose in one hand, a pulled carrot could quickly be hosed down without having to stop my watering!  :D

Diggerpete

Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 22:01 »
nothin better than the taste of a freshly pulled carrot.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 22:11 »
try this collection from T&M, I got the details by searching through the allotment shop on this website
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

iwantanallotment

Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 00:07 »
Thanks so much, all.
Obviously what I'd taken as carrot failure was just my diners' familiarity with supermarket offerings and intolerance of anything different to that.
Johnnywesto, you hit it on the head - "Too carrotty" was the main complaint, and "roast them", to disguise that carrotty taste  :lol:
Thanks, and bless your boy!

jennyb

• My Blog
Homegrown Carrots
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 07:42 »
Ty yorkie.  do you know if they can be found in a shop rather than online?

I don't eat carrots for a while after all mine  are finished....i  just can't bring myself to go back to the bland supermarket after such wonderful flavour!

xx
homegrown revolution

Started by fisher on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 22:32
by fisher
xx
My very first homegrown green beans (two pics)

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 13:11
by SalJ1980
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 21:40
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 35 queries.