Compost ---

• 5 Replies

Ozwytch

Compost ---
« on: July 16, 2008, 09:14 »
:oops:
ok .... I have decided to use the "pit" i have uncovered on the plot as a compost pit -  i see you can buy wooden compost bins so this should work the same, the thing is do i have to keep turning it over and over all the time becasue its in a box?..... Help? Confused.com
)O( Ozwytch
Thick as a brick Newbie. desperate allomentor in the making .......

compostqueen

Compost ---
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:33 »
you don't have to turn it but it does help as it aerates it.  If you leave it undisturbed with a cover on it will cook just fine but maybe take longer.  Getting some air into by turning does speed up the process but it can be hard work if it's kind of solidified. If it goes solid it becomes aneorobic and can just sit there. Even if you don't stir it you could push some holes down into it

Good fun  :D

agapanthus

Compost ---
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:23 »
Lots of people build bins out of old pallets and build 2 or 3 together, so instead of turning the compost it can be forked from one to the other and then back again. The third one is to store the compost. Muntjac made me 3 from this design.......

http://www.city.fitchburg.wi.us/refuse_recycling/documents/BuildaWoodPalletCompostBin.pdf

....sorry this is'nt the design that he used (could'nt find that) but this is along the same line except that the panels are pallets. He laid old carpet in the bottom...made the turning easier.

Ozwytch

many many thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 21:11 »
:shock:
thank you both very much ... xxxxx i shall take on board BOTH lots of advice.........
i like the pallets box
Barbs

Trillium

Compost ---
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:10 »
I tried the pit method once, years ago, using a bottomless dustbin as a liner. Bottom line: it was a stenchy mess that was a pain in the back to dig out. Never again. Will always use something above ground that can get air and easier to turn or dig out.

Ozwytch

Compost ---
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 17:25 »
:D
thanks you kindly ...
ive spent the weekebnd reading up on compost, compost making, and compost raking, a load of old S*** i was told !!!! sorry -  but i thought it was funny.... i now have two of the bins from the council, good value, big bins no bottoms and have lids, with instructions on how to use them !! Yes instructions that even I, a blonde allotmentor can follow, ive even been out in the rain these past couple of weeks, never been known before !!
I have a use for the pit though ...... :twisted:
xx
Barbs

xx
Compost Bin

Started by crh75 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 06:19
by fatcat1955
xx
compost bin

Started by jarigo on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 14:00
by Amilo
exclamation
compost loo's

Started by blanky on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 14:27
by doubledug
xx
Compost bin from pallets.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 19:02
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 35 queries.