how many peas and beans to grow?

• 15 Replies

mrsbaggins

« on: April 29, 2008, 07:48 »
I know this is maybe how long is a piece of string question but have no idea how much produce each plant will give me so dont know how many to plant. Eating wise there is just me and no doubt my son will pinch some for himself and try and tempt his girlfriend as well. Am guessing here but if I plant say 15 plants of runners, broad beans and same of peas will this be enough or too much or not enough?? obviously the produce depends on conditions etc and i realise that but on average is what I am after

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:13 »
My mother lives on her own. I will plant about 24 runner beans & have planted over 100 broad beans, (she will freeze a lot).

15 Peas is not a lot. If these were spaced in a row, it's just about enough to give you a 1 foot row. (3" apart in a triple row within a row if you get the meaning).

Per my book, this will give you about 1lb of peas only.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ruby Red

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:49 »
If you dont plant enough the first time round, broad beans and peas are quick to germinate so you wouldnt be waitng long for another lot.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:42 »
I’m now down to about 6 runner bean plants as anymore I can’t keep up with them, I also grow 10 climbing French beans with them, its enough for a family of 4, plus freezing. You will need loads of peas just to feed 2 adults, I hardly get any to the pot as the girls eat them from the pods.
Paul

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 14:28 »
This year I planted 11 Polestar and 11 White Lady runner beans that will climb a Munty frame so I hope to get good yields, enough to freeze, add to soups and give to friends. I'm the only one who likes peas in this house, but I'll plant a whole pkg as not a lot of them make it out of the garden  :lol:  Nothing like sun warmed peas fresh out of the shell as you sit in the pea patch.

crowndale

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 15:41 »
I love peas and plant loads (in relation to the plot size and everything else I grow)  I am planning around large packets of peas this year with 10-12 dwarf french beans and 5 each of two varities of climbing french bean.  more than a enough.  no runners, can't stand them, yuck
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 15:43 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
 no runners, can't stand them, yuck

I didn't know that! :wink:  :lol:

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 15:58 »
I love peas fresh picked. I eat the pod as well. I am usually left with a mouth full of fibres, but the taste is excellent.

What I wanted to query was a Munty frame. Is this where Munty holds one end of your bean poles? - OK - I found it.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

gobs

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 16:14 »
As said, with runners or French, easy to have a glut, as these produce all season, the more you pick, the more you get.

Not so with the rest. Don't forget, peas will only produce for a few weeks, need to sow again.

Broad beans might look a lot but shell to nothing, about 30-40 plants are able to produce oodles.

But all these crops freeze well - most can also be dried when left to mature and jarred for winter and seed use - and their roots enrich the soil with nirogen , so you better have a place for them in your rotation. :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mrsbaggins

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 17:27 »
oooh! a lot more than I had thought then!!  will have to get planting

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 18:16 »
MRSBAGGINS - you might like to try some bolotti beans they look great and you can eat it all young or beans then dry for storage. Very tasty!
Cheers HH :D
Keep digging

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 18:42 »
I'm planting barlottis for the first time this year. They're not common here outside the Italian communities. Can't wait to try them.  I'm also planting lentils for the first time.

mrsbaggins

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 07:50 »
Quote from: "DD."

15 Peas is not a lot. If these were spaced in a row, it's just about enough to give you a 1 foot row. (3" apart in a triple row within a row if you get the meaning).

Just re read this and saw the bit about planting 3" apart? is this final spacing? I appear to have planted mine about 10" apart!! whoops!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 08:14 »
The below rough diagram shows one recommended spacing for pea sowing. Some will go for just two rows, others more.

I practice I get a handfull of peas & chuck them in so it about averages out! I''m not planting 32' rows in such perfection!

Anyway should hopefully give you some idea of the number of peas you really need for a crop.

Ruby Red

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 12:48 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
This year I planted 11 Polestar and 11 White Lady runner beans that will climb a Munty frame so I hope to get good yields, enough to freeze, add to soups and give to friends. I'm the only one who likes peas in this house, but I'll plant a whole pkg as not a lot of them make it out of the garden  :lol:  Nothing like sun warmed peas fresh out of the shell as you sit in the pea patch.

. . . as he sits among his leeks and pees lol! :roll:

xx
peas and runner beans - can they grow up poles together

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 21:38
by stentman
thumbup
How to grow peas.

Started by BrianK on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 12:34
by Sadgit
xx
what do you grow your peas up ??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 19:18
by DD.
angry
peas wont grow

Started by cobblers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 13:37
by peapod

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 34 queries.