Kettle v flask v microwave

• 12 Replies

mrs bouquet

Kettle v flask v microwave
« on: October 20, 2022, 13:29 »
I saw a lady who said she boils the kettle once and fills a flask.   I usual boil 1 mug of water probably about 7 times a day in my 3000 watt kettle.  It holds 6 cups.  the micro is 800 watts.  the flask needs a wash out !
What do you think.  ??    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Kettle v flask v microwave
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 14:54 »
I boil a mugful of water in a kettle as and when required (boiling water is already off the boil as soon as you pour it into a thermos flask, so isn't much good for making tea, and it doesn't stay hot for that long if you keep opening it either.)

Microwaving a mugful of water is quite efficient, but can be hit and miss (either not long enough, or the possibility of superheating the water which can be dangerous as it can erupt when you move it from the microwave.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 15:01 »
It's about 4 pence to boil the kettle each time with the amount of water you are Mrs B. The microwave is more efficient but as suggested it provides far more risk.  If you want to make a saving just skip using the hoover for a week  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 16:09 »
If you want to make a saving just skip using the hoover for a week  ;)
That's my preferred option, after ignoring the iron  :lol:  I'm also not using my oven as much as I used to, I'm using hob, microwave or slow-cooker more.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 16:09 by mumofstig »

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 17:54 »
I was looking at some "experts" on the telly talking about the costs and efficiency of oven vs air fryer and they missed one important thing. Once your oven is up to temp, it clicks off until it cools again. The hosts assumed it was on all the time. Not true. A well insulated oven can hold its working temperature for quite a while.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 18:13 »
But the fan in the oven carries on regardless..

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 09:43 »
It looks like I'll have to carry out a task that has been in my mind (the back of which I hasten to add) since me Mam died.  I'll have to get into the shed, fire up the polishing mops, dig out the polishing soap and polish the dullness off 'er old oil lamp.

Quite looing forward to it! :)  Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 15:03 »
Tilley lamps are going for a fortune on fleabay  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 20:09 by AndyRVTR »

GraciesGran

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 15:58 »
It's about 4 pence to boil the kettle each time with the amount of water you are Mrs B. The microwave is more efficient but as suggested it provides far more risk.  If you want to make a saving just skip using the hoover for a week  ;)
What a fabulous idea, one which I will gladly obey.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 11:30 »

Microwaving a mugful of water is quite efficient, but can be hit and miss (either not long enough, or the possibility of superheating the water which can be dangerous as it can erupt when you move it from the microwave.)
From the time water starts boiling, to the time, the last of it goes to steam, it is always at the same temperature. The only way to change the temperature while boiling: raise or lower the pressure (e.g pressure cooker).  Physics.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 12:43 »
From the time water starts boiling, to the time, the last of it goes to steam, it is always at the same temperature. The only way to change the temperature while boiling: raise or lower the pressure (e.g pressure cooker).  Physics.
FWII the surface tension of the water is sufficient to increase the pressure to the extent it will violently react when it is finally broken by a tea bag or spoon.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 13:11 »
FWII the surface tension of the water is sufficient to increase the pressure to the extent it will violently react when it is finally broken by a tea bag or spoon.

That's right Lardman  ;) - for probably much more information than you ever wanted to know about superheating, (including how to reduce the risk) visit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating#Occurrence_via_microwave_oven

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 15:02 »
I have this symbol on my microwave which means ‘put a spoon into liquids before heating’

You can still boil liquids over but they never super heat so that they explode when moved.
59050D47-F0B9-4BCA-AED5-04D9077A456D.jpeg

xx
Thermos travel cup/small flask

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post May 16, 2024, 19:50
by Yorkie
xx
New Kettle

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 21:59
by Yorkie
moved
MOVED: Microwave combi.

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 12:20
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 43 queries.