Are you digging up yet?

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

Are you digging up yet?
« on: August 25, 2021, 14:31 »
My pansies, Virginia stocks and petunias have just about come to the end of their show so I've just pulled them out and next will be most of the sweet peas except for one lot that are still doing ok. It has made more room for the begonias to carry on strutting their stuff and things do look tidier. What have you done?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

Re: Are you digging up yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 14:33 »
Going to hoik out the Sweet Williams tomorrow, and pick up some Sugar Rush Wallflowers to plant in the same long trays! They usually last until Spring, when I get them out in a heap somewhere on a spare space, and some are now three years old and still flowering!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 14:17 »
That's good going. Do you take cuttings off them or just bed the original plants in autumn then replant in spring? I got some plug plants from two well-known places which I shan't use again as they were not the best growers to say the least. This year I've grown about 90 and pricked the seedlings into pots plus ordered another 30 of a different variety in case of failures. I'm going to plant them in a small central bed in the lawn which I will dig over once my begonias are out then add some mushroom compost and bone meal. The majority are going into a new border we made by a low wall at one end of the lawn which needs the same treatment. Hopefully we'll get a nice show come spring.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 16:39 »
I have spent 2 weeks clearing a bed of things I have gone off.  I want to change the look.  Diggin out some of the plants made me swear "alot", but I got them in the end.  I have searched the garden and moved across some heavy sandstones and put them in front of the fence, but not touching, so that I can put the tree bark down in some of the places.   Then just normal, watering, feeding, dead-heading etc.   Plus washing out the green waste as the men emptied it this morning.  It was disgusting.  Wheeled it over the common and wash it all out, smells a bit better now and I have left the lid open hoping it will dry.    Oh, and I cut th grass today.
Nothing exceptional really.    ::)  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 18:07 »
That's good going. Do you take cuttings off them or just bed the original plants in autumn then replant in spring? I got some plug plants from two well-known places which I shan't use again as they were not the best growers to say the least. This year I've grown about 90 and pricked the seedlings into pots plus ordered another 30 of a different variety in case of failures. I'm going to plant them in a small central bed in the lawn which I will dig over once my begonias are out then add some mushroom compost and bone meal. The majority are going into a new border we made by a low wall at one end of the lawn which needs the same treatment. Hopefully we'll get a nice show come spring.

We get new ones every year from our local GC,and pop them in the trays. At the end of the season, some are still flowering, so I just plonk them in a bed somewhere, and let them get on with it!

This year, they're in with the Sweet Peas, and are loving it! Probs do the same next year, as they don't even mind the shade of the SPs!

Getting them tomorrow now, as had to go to a funeral today..:0(

xx
Something digging in tubs

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 03:50
by Paul Plots
xx
What do you dream about digging up...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2019, 16:21
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 33 queries.