You are number 31 in the queue...

• 15 Replies

Paul Plots

You are number 31 in the queue...
« on: May 28, 2019, 10:43 »
Thank you for your patience - we are experiencing a high volume of calls - you are currently 31.

If "31" was my age it wouldn't be so bad... I could afford to hang on until I reached 32 but I'm having my doubts. I phoned the Out Patients Appointment Booking line so long ago that I am sure I have aged since sitting her patiently waiting for my number to be up.

Have you ever had a phone call answered so long after you dialled the number that you have almost forgotten what it was you wanted to discuss?

I am now number 3!! Back to infancy! That's what happens to your mental state when they make you wait so long on the other end of the phone line. :(

Is there an answer to this problem and has anyone else experienced this with their nhs services?

Love them really :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Auntiemogs

Re: You are number 31 in the queue...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 11:20 »
My old surgery used to have a queue for a queue!  You'd wait patiently ( :D) for your place number to count down, only to be disappointed when you realised you were now being transferred to another queue! 

They can be quite busy after a long weekend, so I hope you finally managed to get through.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 11:42 »
I did once have to ring the Hospital with an appointment query, and found myself in a queue of about 7 - I eventually got down to the magic '1' and then got cut off.  :mad:
Turns out the call centre closed at 1630 precisely, and clearly irrespective of whether anyone was still waiting or not.  :nowink:

Don't think I'd have the patience to wait if I was anything like number 31 in the queue :ohmy: (probably would have nodded off long before it was my turn!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 11:52 »
Thank you for your patience - we are experiencing a high volume of calls - you are currently 31.

If "31" was my age it wouldn't be so bad... I could afford to hang on until I reached 32 but I'm having my doubts. I phoned the Out Patients Appointment Booking line so long ago that I am sure I have aged since sitting her patiently waiting for my number to be up.

Have you ever had a phone call answered so long after you dialled the number that you have almost forgotten what it was you wanted to discuss?

I am now number 3!! Back to infancy! That's what happens to your mental state when they make you wait so long on the other end of the phone line. :(

Is there an answer to this problem and has anyone else experienced this with their nhs services?

Love them really :)

Welcome to the overcrowded south east.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 15:28 »
I actually had the opposite problem last week when I rang the local surgery for a repeat prescription. I dialed, fully expecting a few rings while I gathered my thoughts about what I wanted to order and the phone was picked up on the very first "Ri-". It barely gave a sound at all.

Fortunately I had a second or two while they looked up my surname to workout what we wanted!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 15:34 »
Hi Paul, I think we must be dialling the same number !!!!  The number listing jumps about as well, so I am number 32 (after you), and then it jumps to 4, then back to 28.    I forget what I have 'phoned about as well.
Then I  go and lay down in a darkened room.    :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 15:58 »
I used to be able to ring up my local GP for an appointment. Since various local surgeries were amalgamated I now have to endure the voice of a nice lady who tells me which buttons to press. Having gone through all the various options I decided to stop pressing buttons because I didn't want to get RSI only to hear "Your call can't be taken at the moment but please hold on because you are now 57th in the queue. Bah! 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 14:48 »
 31 i would not have bothered to wait to be told i'm now no: 30,, how long did you wait untill it was your
 turn,,?   ::)   :nowink:
Colin

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 15:51 »
It might even be worth the wait if, when one finally gets to speak with a human being, it is one who has brought their brain to work that day!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 00:55 »
31 i would not have bothered to wait to be told i'm now no: 30,, how long did you wait untill it was your
 turn,,?   ::)   :nowink:

Not sure how long I waited - normally I time the call but I didn't on this occasion. I stuck the hands-free phone in my pocket, left it on loud speaker, "enjoyed" (?) the music and ignored the "thank you for your patience" and wandered around the garden.

But I did eventually get through (5,4,3,2,1)... to be told; "No, we cannot deal with an appointment booking for this."

I explained I had been directed to phone outpatients and a referral had been made and marked "urgent" - so I was not expecting an 8 week delay before another "initial" appointment date could be offered... the wait had been 12 months already as well as an appointment with a consultant two and a half hours away at another hospital to the north..

I was told my call would be transferred to the correct hospital department but I wasn't accepting that one only to find the next phone call would end abruptly after the usual "We are not available at the moment. Please leave your name and number and we will return your call" recorded message.

Instead I asked for the department number and phoned myself... resigned to getting nowhere slowly but...

I was in luck!! I spoke to someone who listened to me - found the right notes - understood why I was phoning - accepted my explanation of the phone-call-trail across the south's hospital departments and out patients and... it went on a bit..

She then agreed - the referral was marked "urgent" and said she would phone back as soon as she could.

The following day the phone call came through - she had raised the referral to the next batch to be assessed and accepted my part in trying to forward  this on behalf of one of the teenaged lads that I once taught.

His army application was on hold awaiting the results of some simple but needed treatment... he had worked his socks off with me in his spare time to gain the college qualifications he needed and was getting there. He had trained everyday, run miles, followed a fitness programme and was suddenly up against a brick wall.

He had completed his online application to the army - everything had gone well.... apart from one small medical issue. His life had crashed... but he asked for help and I was going to do my best for him.

The woman at the other end of the phone accepted, understood and supported. I was so grateful that someone was willing to help me help. The lad needs a boost - he has tried so hard to get where he wants to go... his life is on hold until the nhs can fit him in and sort it out... another 18 month wait was causing him to sink and despair after all his hard work to achieve the first step in his goal.

Now I await (or rather he does) a letter with a date for a quick assessment and then, hopefully, a simple but vital operation. I just so hope it goes ahead promptly for him... it'll mean the world to him. He lost his dad when he was 4 years old so carries the world and it's responsibilities on his shoulders - I'd so love to see it go well for him as he cant be faulted for effort and determination.

Mostly, right this minute, I am so grateful for the nhs member of staff who listened, understood and took action to drag us out from the deluge of referrals and accept the GPs second referral and help forward this for us... I had attended the previous hospital appointments with him, seen his consultant and asked her to check again - she did and then "Oh... yes I missed it.. no wonder". I had been back to his GP and between us managed to enlist the GPs support too...

Thank heavens for the individuals who care!

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 06:37 »
Well done you Paul, that young man has obviously high regard for you & rightly so 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 11:24 »
Well done you Paul, that young man has obviously high regard for you & rightly so 😊

I taught his mum so know the family... he is a great lad.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 12:14 »
It is so nice to know that there are people like you around, who will take the time and care for others.  A big hug to you both from me.   Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 15:31 »
Two weeks ago I did a very silly thing when I untangled one of my hosepipes that goes around our little cottage and use for watering some pots. I should have know a month ago when suddenly my foot was snaked so I fell on my bum on a low garden wall. Pain-killers 'R' Us! I went out after dinner and made sure it was all untangled from its love-nest then started watering my pots. Wrong! For some unknown reason only known to man it got stuck on something so I gave it a big tug. Wrong! I fell on my right rib-cage on the same wall so the next day I spent over 7 hours in A&E only to  be told all I needed was some more pain-killers. Why on earth I spent so long in there is anybody's guess but I must have been in some sort of unknown queue which their newly-installed PC system sent into outer space never to be seen again. Thank God for a nurse called Michelle who finally got me some pain-killers 4 1/2 hours after I was supposed to get them.   

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 02:22 »
Goosegirl that is a pretty long wait... but it can happen. I guess they prioritise all patients and attend to those with blood loss or serious conditions first.

I have sat in A&E for literally hours - (not for me as far as I can remember) - the waiting room fills - children tend to be seen early on which is fine by me then those in a real mess are whisked off next.

It maybe that there were admissions by ambulance to A&E and these patients don't appear in the waiting area at all but go straight through.

As for hose pipes and problems - flipping irritating things - ours is bright yellow and not too hard to see if you remember to look in the first place.

Sorry to hear of your double whammy accidents - pleased to hear you are in once piece!! This gardening lark is not as safe as some people imagin it to be is it..

xx
101 number

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 19:35
by John
xx
Public enemy number 1

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 13:23
by wapello

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 50 queries.