Radicchio

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

Radicchio
« on: October 15, 2018, 17:31 »
never gave growing Radiccio a thought until I seen a well known cook on the TV  preparing  Radiccio it looked quite tasty so I looked it up in my seed catalogue Radiccio also known as 'read hearted chicory said to be popular in the restaurant trade so went for a variety called Amaranta for an early and maincrop sowingS so Il give it a go next season and as usual I thought I would ask if anyone grows Radiccio and could give me some advise on growing it I presume it to be much similar to the lettuce family  :unsure:

title edit for search purposes
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 18:06 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Radicchio
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 18:28 »
Radicchio is a chicory, rather than being like lettuce. I'd only grow a few plants until you are sure you like it.
 If you are going to eat it in salads you are better to pull small leaves off and use them young. Even then they'll need perhaps a honey/mustard or Balsamic vinegar salad dressing to make them palatable.
I prefer them pan-fried with a little garlic, in olive oil with Balsamic vinegar.
During winter the outside leaves can look nasty but if you peel those leaves off, the inside heart is good and a lovely colour

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 06:22 »
I've looked at growing Radicchio as I love its crunch and bitter flavour however there seem to be a few, quite different looking varieties. There's the chicory type one which develops a long central 'column' then a more rounded lettuce like type (such as the Amaranta) which would be great shredded for salads and sandwiches/burgers. I'd find a seed packet for the type you want to grow and go from there.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:07 »
thanks MUM I note what your saying I have already ordered Amaranta  to try DHM so hopefully this variety should make a good salad

many thanks

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 17:39 »
my radicchio has done really well this year, both at home and at the allotment.  whilst I like the bitter taste, I also pull just a few young leaves at a time to give a twist to my salads.

I currently have many mature plants and im not sure how best to use them, although I believe they are quite hardy into winter. (I may give the cooking with garlic and balsamic a go though :)).

what would you serve this with?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 18:09 »
With grilled meat, it also works as a side dish with pasta  ;)

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 17:21 »
Stick a leaf or two in a burger, provides a nice crunch and a mild bitterness which contrasts beautifully with the other flavours! (",)

xx
Is this radicchio?

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 17:08
by tallulah
xx
Anyone grow radicchio?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 16:27
by mumofstig
xx
I planted some seed that is supposed to be Radicchio...but?

Started by I-Am-Steptoe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 14:44
by I-Am-Steptoe

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 37 queries.