Young Broad Bean plants - how deep?

• 6 Replies

Paul the bean

Young Broad Bean plants - how deep?
« on: January 27, 2018, 11:01 »
Hello

I’m new and this is my first post. I hope my question isn’t a duplication of an older post.

I’ve grown some broad bean plants in pots. Can I plant them out in my plot deeper than the level they are in their pots? They’re fairly leggy and I’m thinking planting deeper will give them more support.

Thank you

Paul

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Re: Young Broad Bean plants - how deep?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:10 »
I think you may risk rot if you plant deeper than pot level. But you do need to support them with string and canes. Check out You tube for what to do. There are several methods - all simple.

Paul the bean

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:54 »
Hello Juvenal

Thanks for your reply.

I thought planting them deeper might be risky - I know some plants don’t mind and even perform better if planted deeper but I have no-idea with broad beans.

Heading to the allotment with them now. They’ll be getting the staking treatment! :)

Thanks

Paul

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 15:21 »
My first question is what variety are they as some are not very frost hardy

I have always grown Sutton, the good thing is they are tough as old boots and as they are small generally dont need staking etc and produce excellent beans

As regards planting out I would plant to the top of the pot depth.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Paul the bean

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 12:05 »
Hello Aidy

The beans are Aquadulce Claudia - I think they’re fairly winter-robust. I grew 4/5 plants in my garden last year and they over-wintered really well and because they were early they didn’t get blackfly. The year before, I grew them from late spring and they were covered in aphids - so I’m liking the getting-in-there early and freezing them.

I’ve just taken on an allotment, so I’m giving it a go with about 30 plants, in groups of about 10 over a couple of months. Some plants are a bit leggy - hence my query about deeper planting.

All this fuss over a broad bean. Can you imaging what I’ll be like come spring!? :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 12:28 »
you will probably find once planted they will go dormant ish and slow right down and you will get away with it.
May suggest next year try the sutton, I prefer the bean itself and the plants being small need little care.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 23:08 »
you will probably find once planted they will go dormant ish and slow right down and you will get away with it.
May suggest next year try the sutton, I prefer the bean itself and the plants being small need little care.

Is that the dwarf Sutton variety, Aidy?  I think I grew a few plants last year - but the yields weren't great because the plants were short.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Been given some broad bean plants

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2007, 21:29
by muntjac
xx
Big Broad Bean Plants

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2011, 20:53
by LilacSandy
xx
rusty broad bean plants

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2007, 05:31
by ACatCalledElvis
xx
What to do with broad bean plants that are ready

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 07:57
by DD.

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 40 queries.