mashauk

What to do with my seedlings
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 19:28 »
Quote from: "WG."
germinate in low heat
move to cold greenhouse immediately they break surface
move to ventilated coldframe if greenhouse cannot be kept cold
plant out when 6" high and tough as nails

Remember a cauliflower and a tomato have very different notions of what cold means.

Well I germinated them at about 21 degrees, moved them this morning to the polytunnel where they have an old fishtank on top of them.  We shall see, it's not the end of the world, there was only 10, last year my total cauliflower harvest was 4!

Rob the rake

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 02:15 »
Quote from: "littlemisssunshine"
Rob - what is a 'Jiffy 7'?  I shall keep my beady eye out for them.

They are dehydrated discs of compost encased in a mesh. You add water to them and they swell up into dumpy cylinders, one end of which is open for seed sowing. The beauty of them is that you can pot them on or plant them out without causing any root disturbance. The mesh rots away in the soil and is broken up as the roots demand more room.

Marske lottie shop sell them in 2 sizes, in bags of 50 or 60, at around 2 quid a bag. The bigger size is ideal for starting off your peppers and toms.
 Don't tell them I sent you.  :wink:
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

mushroom

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 08:25 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
Rob - what is a 'Jiffy 7'?  I shall keep my beady eye out for them.

They are dehydrated discs of compost encased in a mesh. You add water to them and they swell up into dumpy cylinders, one end of which is open for seed sowing. The beauty of them is that you can pot them on or plant them out without causing any root disturbance. The mesh rots away in the soil and is broken up as the roots demand more room.

Marske lottie shop sell them in 2 sizes, in bags of 50 or 60, at around 2 quid a bag. The bigger size is ideal for starting off your peppers and toms.
 Don't tell them I sent you.  :wink:

I have volounteered your post for the Glossary, Rob. cheers ;)

littlemisssunshine

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 19:07 »
Thanks again Rob!  I am back at the Marske shop on Sunday.  I will have a look for them.  I will also be getting my spuds to start chitting.

My Dad put 4 crowns of Rhubarb into my new lottie today and dropped off some builders netting for my peas.  What a sweetie.

I am delighted with how it is coming along but I am full of cold so digging may have to wait for better weather and health.

Ladybirdsmile

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 11:04 »
This is where i got my jiffy pots from  (100 Jiffy Pots for £5.49p)

http://www.gardensupplydirect.co.uk
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Rob the rake

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 11:19 »
Thanks again Rob!  I am back at the Marske shop on Sunday.  I will have a look for them.  I will also be getting my spuds to start chitting.

My Dad put 4 crowns of Rhubarb into my new lottie today and dropped off some builders netting for my peas.  What a sweetie.

I am delighted with how it is coming along but I am full of cold so digging may have to wait for better weather and health.

Get well soon. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 17:50 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
You've started your caulis off rather early Mashauk.  I'm not going to start mine for another month or more.  Did the packet say to start them off in heat in January  :?:

I started some at the begining of Jan, All year round, did this last year and got a top crop from them, I have them in and out at the mo getting them propper northern hard so they will sit in the greenhouse until they are ready for transplanting. I will start another lot in March for summer cropping.

I've done exactly the same, with exactly the same variety. No heat - not everything benefits from a propagator IMHO. Also had a good crop & they seem to get in before the clubroot.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Do my seedlings look ok?

Started by LJB12 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 12:11
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
New seedlings

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 00:24
by Stripey_cat
xx
What seedlings are these?

Started by nuzuki on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 22:18
by Yorkie
xx
When to pot seedlings on

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 12:30
by Loubs

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 32 queries.