seeds

• 23 Replies

Headgardener22

Re: seeds
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 16:45 »
I know that parsnip seeds are supposed to only be any good for one season, but... last year I forgot to buy any so I used some I'd already got (from Moles Seeds as it happens) only afterwards did I notice that they were four years old. No problems with germination.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 17:47 »
"I don't have any experience of onion seeds, but personally I wouldn't save seeds from sets that have bolted early - you're saving seeds with a genetic predisposition to bolting early."

No not at all! Sets very often bolt because of the way the have been treated nothing to do with the genetics of the plant. Had I grown an onion from seed and it bolted early and took seed of that you may have had a point but sets are another form of onion plant altogether there was a time when sets were very prone to bolting but heat treating them has helped cure that to some extent simple soil nutrient imbalances and structure can also case bolting. Anyway as said should be fun I will of course come back an apologise should I be wrong and end up with a good show of onion flowers :)

Ah fair enough. I obviously got confused!  :nowink:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 19:22 »
No not at all! Sets very often bolt because of the way the have been treated nothing to do with the genetics of the plant.

But surely its impossible to tell a Set that has been incorrectly heat treated, and bolts, from its sibling that was genetically predisposed to running to seed early?

jambop

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 20:00 »
Yes that is correct BUT if you apply a bit of thinking for every one onion seedling that bolts I would be willing to bet that ten times as many or more sets bolt. Now as all onion sets start off as a seed the odds are stacked against it being a genetic predisposition that caused the bolting . Sets are known to be prone to bolting that is a fact whereas onions grown from seed are less likely to do so. From this statistic I am putting my scientific brain into gear and saying that it is worth growing the saved seeds. Also be aware that the onion flowers are open pollenated and could well have taken another genetic turn to bolt resistance :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25 »
Still think anyone wanting seeds would be better to wait for second season crop ...

Sets are known to be prone to bolting that is a fact

I thought it was only if they weren't (or weren't "properly") heat treated? 

Headgardener22

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 16:13 »
Sets are known to be prone to bolting that is a fact whereas onions grown from seed are less likely to do so. From this statistic I am putting my scientific brain into gear and saying that it is worth growing the saved seeds.

Non heat treated sets are prone to bolting, but heat treated ones should not bolt. Read this from thi very site http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/grow-onion-set.php

So, my understanding would be that either the sets that bolted were not properly heat treated or the plants themselves are prone to bolt.

I'll be interested in knowing the result of your test.

jambop

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 16:46 »
Heat treating of sets is not infallible and in fact some sets are still  not treated so unless it actually says heat treated then you cannot be sure of what you have bought. However you look at it logic says that the very act of preparing sets is likely to cause an increase in bolted onions versus seed grown onions and since all sets are grown from seeds, to me at least the chances are that the bolted set was more than likely a problem in the treatment process and not a genetic predisposition to bolting but I will let you know what happens. Also remember that these onions were open pollenated so there is no surety that the will grow true to type... they were a variety called White Ebenezer, they could come up yellow Ebenezer or flowering Ebenezer... good fun finding out though :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 18:32 »
Heat treating of sets is not infallible and in fact some sets are still  not treated so unless it actually says heat treated then you cannot be sure of what you have bought.

(As said I grow from seed, rather than sets, but:) judging by discussions on here it seems to me that anyone that knows about such things would be sure to buy Heat Treated, but perhaps its a bit of a mental leap! to assume that Heat Treated are the more common.  I suppose they are probably more expensive ...

AnneB

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 20:09 »
If you are after very cheap seeds and need a good selection of basic varieties, then I suggest Aldi at 39p a packet. 

I tend to buy for flavour and open pollinated varieties so often go elsewhere, but if you want a basic start Aldi is good.  Also fruit bushes for £2.99 at the moment. 

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
seeds

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 19:20
by mumofstig
xx
seeds

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 10:01
by Fisherman
xx
Pea Seeds

Started by Hoodsie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 13:33
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 35 queries.