Growing Squash in car tyres

• 7 Replies

Oscar the dog

Growing Squash in car tyres
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:43 »
Anyone grown squash (or pumpkins and courgettes) in car tyres?

On a brand new allotment site, created last year so really first full year of growing season -  but area at back very damp and is wet at a spades depth - already got raised beds for carrots but also have 6 old car tyres.

Thinking about growing squash in the tyres with a mix of horse manure, top soil and compost - what balance?

Anybody success stories re this?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Growing Squash in car tyres
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:50 »
Never tried it myself but Bob Flowerdew is a firm car tyre grower.  They don't have to look ugly either.

http://sweffling.wordpress.com/tag/tyre-towers/

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:58 »
I just typed a comprehensive reply to this post and lost it  :nowink: :mad: >:( ::) :ohmy: :wacko:

So I'll have another go. Yes you can. I'd use a rich mix of poop, soil and homemade compo. I would use mostly poop as they like a rich planting medium as they are greedy feeders.  The whole thing will slump considerably as the muck usually continues to rot down so you will find the lot could suddenly disappear back down into your tyre stack, so make sure you put plenty in.  I'd top the lot off with a mix of soil and homemade compost to plant your squash in as pure manure is a bit hot for the stem of your plant and could kill it if the muck is a tad fresh.   Also topping off with soil will help keep blackbirds from chucking all the manure about, which they love to do

If you can't be bothered with a tyre stack you can grow them on a heap of muck/soil/compo or just make a 3 footish hole, fill it with muck etc and plant in that. Mark the point where you've planted your squash, as once the plant romps away you won't be able to find it for watering purposes. They don't need watering unless we hit a dry spell  :)  Have fun  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 13:16 »
Saw a very recent post about using car tyres, and remember my mum using them to make a flower container. She turned them inside out and stacked them three high.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 14:14 »
Never tried it myself but Bob Flowerdew is a firm car tyre grower.  They don't have to look ugly either.

http://sweffling.wordpress.com/tag/tyre-towers/

This is a bit worrisome though (at the end of that blog post).

PS  Shucks!!  I have just been alerted to the fact that toxic chemicals can leach out of tyres into the soil and thus the vegetables grown therein.  I must do further research.  And I was so excited.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 15:44 »
How about lining the tyre pile with plastic sheeting?

Would need holes in the bottom for drainage if bags were used - apart from preventing any possible leaching from the tyres into the soil mixture, it should save wasting soil by avoiding having to fill the carcases of the tyres.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Oscar the dog

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 16:40 »
PS  Shucks!!  I have just been alerted to the fact that toxic chemicals can leach out of tyres into the soil and thus the vegetables grown therein.  I must do further research.  And I was so excited.

Guess it could be different as he was talking about potatoes as in grown in stacked tyres? - where if only roots  in tyre (and fork the soil under tyres for drainage) only really using them as a border for a raised bed perhaps.

The ground is too wet to put plants straight into ground so worth 3 plants: 1 courgette, 1 squash & 1 pumpkin as an experiment I think

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 16:47 by mumofstig »

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 22:00 »
You can forget about toxic chemicals leaching out as the amounts will be so small as to make no difference. If you live in a town you will be breathing in far more toxins from car tyres every day than will ever leach into your fruit/veg from growing them in old tyres.

xx
Growing potatoes in tyres

Started by GYO Girl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 13:44
by Kristen
xx
Growing Potatoes in Tyres?

Started by Cabbage Patch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 22:26
by SUTTY1
xx
growing stuff in tyres

Started by TinaD on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 14:00
by Babyshoes
question
Growing in tyres - does it work?

Started by Pip Judgeford on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 14:24
by evie2

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 36 queries.