What a good idea ..

• 18 Replies

Lardman

What a good idea ..
« on: May 03, 2014, 20:44 »

Asherweef

Re: What a good idea ..
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 21:47 »
They look somewhat similar to chicken rings...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:43 »
I've got a few of these ones Lardy, the green ones, but I like the look of the others too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Plant-Flower-Garden-Gardening-Clips-Rings-Securing-Support-Supporters-UK-/170839810793

madcat

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:28 »
You have just reminded me of the thin wire split rings my dad used to have for sweet peas ....  I remember having to take them off the netting at the end of the season.  Well - I haven't thought of them for years! 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 11:14 »
From what I can see the hinge area has as a space for clamping the vertical support string and the front area has a jolly big hole to support the stem, all in 1 hassle free (cheap) clip. No string rotting, no knots to slip and nothing to dig into the plant stem.

I've found a US seller on fleabay who ships to the uk but the postage is more than the clips  :ohmy: but even so I'm very tempted to order a job lot.

Found another seller offering free international delivery  :ohmy: so I've order 100 for £7.40  ::)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:00 by Lardman »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 18:51 »
They look jolly useful  :D

Please let us know if the ones you receive are up to th job, won't you?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

dmg

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 18:54 »
The clips in GA's post are sold in B&M

Dmg

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 17:46 »
Clips arrived from Israel this morning, 9 days not bad at all ! Initially Im very impressed, the plastic is a little harder than I thought but not enough to damage the plants. The hinge grips the poly twine, the polly braided twine and jute string without problems and holds very well. There seems plenty of room around the stem when the clip is closed and I had no problems releasing the wedge style latch to move it around. No mess, no fuss, no hassle as long as they don't disintegrate in 5 minutes I'll be very happy with them.

Here's a Sungold modelling one for you.  ::)
tommy_clip.jpg

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:27 »
Lardman, I also bought these this year and finding them great. One question. Do you ground your string to a stake to make it taught or allow the weight of the plant only to do this? I've seen both methods and went for the second option.

I also tied them using a hitch knot so I can tighten or slacken off when required.

I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 11:49 »
I have a wire running horizontally at the top of the dwarf wall which I tie onto, there's also a wire on the roof which I tie to so I can adjust the length should I need to. (So I guess the answer is I don't know which is correct  :nowink: )

I'm keeping the string with about 2" of play from vertical to allow for messy growth but to keep them pinned where I want them to grow, things aren't easy in the bottom greenhouse the sides on it slope inwards which makes "vertical" a loose term.

I'll grab a picture - it's easier  ::)

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 23:52 »
Cheers Lardman.  After noticing that the rings were digging in to the branches using my initial method I changed it today.  I used 2 stakes either end of the greenhouse and used bailing twine to form a taut horizontal line. Then I just attached the rings to the vertical strings.  Better I reckon.

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 07:11 »
I've got a few of these ones Lardy, the green ones, but I like the look of the others too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Plant-Flower-Garden-Gardening-Clips-Rings-Securing-Support-Supporters-UK-/170839810793

The 99p & £1 shop has these ones from time to time, I use them on my toms the metal spring rusts when used outside but for a £1 they are great

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 09:02 »
The clips in GA's post are sold in B&M

Dmg
Yes I got some from there, think they were about £1 for the pack.
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 10:34 »
Going great guns. Much less faffing using the rings.

Lardman

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 11:22 »
Going great guns. Much less faffing using the rings.

Ohh look at those nice tidy and orderly tomatoes  :D (although you've missed a side shoot on the middle one  ;) ) Mine are far more of a straggly, spaghetti mess  ::)

I'm finding the clips so much easier too, they're proving especially useful training the cukes up strings, wish I'd bought more than 100 now as I've used at least 2/3rds already.

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 36 queries.