Grape Support Questions.

• 7 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Grape Support Questions.
« on: March 06, 2014, 15:46 »
I have two grape vines coming 'Vitis Reliance and Himrod' and I am in the process of erecting a sort of pergola type frame for them to grow up (photographed below), the wooden bars that you see spanning the width are not secured in place, I just put them there to see what they looked like, how far would you space these bars apart? I had an idea that the vine would creep up the trellis and across the bars with the grapes dangling down in bunches on the inside (although I guess they probably wouldn't get enough sun to ripen them if they did?) Any other general advise appreciated.
Forum 1.jpg
Forum 2.jpg
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 19:19 by MickyB »

Trillium

Re: Grape Support Questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 20:44 »
I did a similar main structure but without the trellising. Instead, I ran lines of coated clothesline wire through eyescrews for about 4-5 levels and that seems to be working fine. I'd keep the top 'hatching' since they'll eventually crawl over it and onto you without it. A shame the boards at the fence have to be there as they'll block sun somewhat.

2 plants would be enough for that length. They start out small but when they get firmly rooted, look out!

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 23:51 »
Thanks  :)

The 'pergola' is about 16ft long and the gap is about 4ft, I have heard that vines are vigorous growers hopefully I will be able to keep them under control.

The boarded side is the boundary to the neighbouring plot and I have some screening to tidy it up but it will have to stay 'closed' on that side although the other side will get full sun.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 21:40 »
If the planted side gets the sun, then you'll be fine. And yes, some varieties turn into triffids. The varieties I bought were supposed to be small, restrained dessert grapes but quickly turned into rampant monsters that would grow 30 feet each side, each! I have to do a lot of pruning through the season or it would become a tangled mess. Hope yours doesn't turn into a triffid  :D

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:53 »
Will the vine be able to grow up the trellis or will I need to add wire supports for it to attach to?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 23:40 »
They'll usually do some climbing on their own, but usually right over one another in a tangled mess, so I used some baling polytwine that I had and tied them at better spacings along the wires or to the vertical support posts, then across the tops so they wouldn't flop down on people and scare them   :D  in your case, just some pieces of string/twine/whatever tied to the trellis at good spacings will work just fine. I didn't have any trellising on my grape arbor which is why I used the wires which let in maximum light.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 18:37 »
All finished and grape vines planted, I am very pleased with how it looks.  :)
8 - 10.03.14 Forum.jpg

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 20:33 »
Very  nice   :)

xx
Sweet Pea support

Started by miggs on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 16:09
by sunshineband
xx
Tomato Support

Started by LotuSeed on Design and Construction

28 Replies
Last post May 10, 2015, 00:05
by ecky
xx
A very simple plant support

Started by EddieJ on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 17:14
by sunshineband
xx
best wire for tree support

Started by dmg on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 17:09
by Lardman

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 34 queries.