Grow bag halo pots

• 6 Replies

Stree

Grow bag halo pots
« on: May 30, 2013, 19:43 »
I must have been leading a more sheltered life than I thought: I have just discovered halo pots.
So decided I had to give them a go, they do look to have many plus points with just a bit of a grey area about watering frequencies. I like the thought of piling the soil further up the stem though.....More roots.
Which brings me neatly on to my next point:
I am using the Levingtons giant Tomato planter bags ( after plenty of research) and it has comprehensive planting instructions on the bag. Fine, but no mention of any drainage. And I dont imagine that I will judge just the perfect amount of water every time its needed, more likely to overwater than under.
Do I puncture the bag sides or bottom for water runoff?   I do not like the thought of roots standing in water.
First time user for grow bags of any description so any tips wisdom and guidance appreciated.
PS found a place online where I could get 6 delivered for under £15:00.

A Reyt Tayty

Re: Grow bag halo pots
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 19:49 »
It usually reccomends to slit the side of the bag in a couple pf places for drainage.

Try cutting the bottoms out of some big pots then cutting holes of the same size into the growbag. Sit the pots on top of the grow bag. Nice deep roots with the growbag giving a reservoir of water to the taproots. Same as a halo pot, but bigger!

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 20:58 »
I stab holes in the bottom of the bags but not the sides.  I cut bottoms out of biggish plant pots, which are fine for the job  :)

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 23:48 »
I stab holes along the sides just above the ground so that excess water drains off but there is always water at the bottom.

After planting water into the outside to get the bag contents moist. Water the inner pot for a couple of weeks to get the roots going. After that mainly water the outside pot, just watering the inner pot enough to keep it moist. This is usuallyy achieved when you feed the plants, which you only do via the inner pot.

The main part of the feeding roots is in the inner pot and, as long as you mainly water the outer pot, cannot get waterlogged. The growbag acts as a reservoir and the roots grow down to it. Keep the growbag good and wet. Any excess will escape through the holes you have made.

These pots, or similar, certainly make watering and feeding easy to manage.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 23:53 »
I have the growpots which I think might be the same as halo pots - plastic ring for feeding/watering around a central pot for the plant?

Have had some of mine for 10 years or more. They're a bit sun-faded but I keep washing and re-using. ;) :)

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 11:51 »
i slit them a bit myself

Stree

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 12:58 »
Thanks for all the answers although suggesting I use customised plant pots is not much use seeing as I have already bought the grow bag pots. Not as good anyway in terms of how the water is released into the bag.
Mostly tips on bag drainage was my query and I have the answer now so thanks for all who responded to that.
So I will see now how I get on with growbags......

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
is this halo blight on my beans?

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 13:41
by Ema
xx
What do you grow in pots?

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 14:12
by WG.
xx
What can you grow in pots?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 17:00
by lazza

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.