I can't grow onions because of white rot

• 46 Replies

David.

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 18:55 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
Good point David. I'll look into it.

Sorry, but I'm a sod for asking questions like that.

Rob the rake

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 08:35 »
Incredibly, I can't find an answer to your question, David.
Horses are pampered creatures though, and I can't imagine that they will be fed any old rubbish.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

burlington

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 09:52 »
Thanks for all your posts folks.

I have now decided to give up growing them for good.

After all, in the space they take up I can always grow something easy, like peas. :)

Martin

gobs

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 10:05 »
Quote from: "burlington"
Thanks for all your posts folks.

I have now decided to give up growing them for good.

After all, in the space they take up I can always grow something easy, like peas. :)

Martin

I think that's best right now, Martin. Don't forget not to grow any alliums. In a few year's time this research might get much more conclusive and advanced.

I didn't read this articles yesterday, but I think, there was not such a 100% success rate at all, after all, it's dated 1999, everybody would be doing it by now.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mashauk

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 14:01 »
Apparently there's a lot of white rot in our area.  Last year we brought the manky onions home to dispose of and have moved the onion bed to the other end of the plot, I planted them several weeks ago and they're fine so far, growing etc., I've only got onions and garlic in there, no shallots or spring onions as they were the worst affected and it was a very wet summer so that didn't help.  To be honest if I get it again I'll just give up growing onions as they're so cheap anyway, and continue to grow garlic in pots in the back garden, it won't be the end of the world.  My 2 tries at leeks failed too, the first lot just didn't grow and the 2nd lot had a bug in them (can't remember what it's called now), but we'll try again this year and see.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 07:23 »
Hi, I know i'm a newbie but I'm sure I read in a magazine the other day that there are some rot resistant varieties you can grow if you do get onion rot so you don't have to ompletely go without. I'll find the magazine - it won't be far away pretty sure I read it in the last couple of days!

Jaye

Jaye

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 07:28 »
Sorry I was wrong (I just looked it up) - it was talking about clubroot not onion rot :(

Many apologies.

Jaye

WG.

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 07:35 »
You had me all excited there Jaye!  :)

paintedlady

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 10:48 »
I'm sure I read somewhere that onion rot is active at a certain soil temperature - hence, you might be able to get away with growing leeks over winter but dig them all up well before spring.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Annie

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08 »
I had some white rot in my onions and had planted leeks next to them before I knew.I am cropping these leeks slowly to see if they also succumb,so far so good.I can cope growing no onions but garlic and leeks,which we eat lots of I would really miss.

WG.

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 11:12 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
I'm sure I read somewhere that onion rot is active at a certain soil temperature - hence, you might be able to get away with growing leeks over winter but dig them all up well before spring.
I'd be delighted to expand on this entry if you know or find temperature details  :D
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=11058 (just post new info)  Ta.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 11:31 »
WG I will put them on those threads as soon as I can - PC time very limited due to the poorly ones atm! I have literally popped on for 2 secs :)

Jaye

paintedlady

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 12:52 »
Quote from: "WG."

Quote from: "paintedlady"

I'd be delighted to expand on this entry if you know or find temperature details  :D
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=11058 (just post new info)  Ta.

:oops: Sorry WG I can't find it.  Perhaps I made some deductions and came up with a solution?

Here goes the rationale:  Everything (including websites in the above topic) suggests cool moist climates (but above 50oF) are ideal for white rot, so overwintering Japanese onions and garlic are particularly vulnerable over spring and summer when the soil is still fairly wet and soil temperature rises and the allium root systems are growing and activating any spores in the soil.  By the time the bulbs are ready to harvest, a full blown onion rot is the case.

Now, temperatures above 75oF inhibit onion rot - about the time the leeks would be going into the soil (bearing in mind that no other alliums have been in that same bed)  By the time they are due for harvesting, the temperature drops and with lots of frost keeping the soil below 50oF ... there may be some onion rot present, but it doesn't get the chance to devastate the whole crop.

Conclusion:  We need hot summers, diving autumn temperatures, and lots of frost to produce an unblemished leek. :)

Jaye

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 16:43 »
I have put the varietties for cabbage and cauli on their respecyive threads WG. There is also one given for swede "Marion" - unless that's a misprint - do swede get clubroot?

Apparently another way to control it is to put lime into the soil to raise the pH as high as 7.5ph as the clunroot tjrives in acidic conditions (pH 6.5 and below) - but becareful not to overdo it, especially if you are growing potatoes as this can cause them to scab.

I got the information from the February 2008 edition of Grow Your Own magazine - page 75.

Jaye

xx
ONIONS - White rot ????

Started by birmancats on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 18:00
by birmancats
xx
Red Onions. White Rot

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 12:54
by mumofstig
xx
ONIONS RED ? OR WHITE ?

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 20:32
by compostqueen
xx
white rot on onions

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 20:53
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 32 queries.