Newbie introduction !! THEFT?

• 4 Replies

Dan

• Experienced Member
« on: March 17, 2006, 21:40 »
Hi guys and gals...
Im a newbie just wanted to say hi and introduce myself..im a novice to allotments...im 33 this year and hope to be choosing a plot in some local allotments this week ( the place i favoured has a massive waiting list as its part of a yummy nature reserve) so i have to take a plot in a less desirable council estate-ish, rail road side...allotment..

i have had a quick scan but cant see any threads regarding theft, vandalism etc.....whats the deal? is it to be expected or have things got better as i dont want to have to cart all my tools and things home every visit?

Great site ! love it so far be prepared for many of my dumb ass questions !

Dan ;-)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 09:55 »
Hi Dan

Theft and vandals are a fact of life for all allotments but more trouble on some sites than others. Before I got my shed, my tools were hidden behind the compost heap but I think I could have left them in the open without a problem.

It only takes one thief on the site .....

Just ask the other plotholders what conditions are like.

Bigger sites can sometimes be safer as there are more people about. In our area we have some sites with no security that have no problems, some with high fences that have loads. Policemen are far too expensive to use as security men on allotments.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 10:29 »
We have no secure fencing at the bottom of our allotment  :x We've had problems with kids coming in and vandalising everything but I'm not sure about theft. Just having it hidden or having a heavy locked up shed can be a good deterrant, I feel.
We just hide our tools in tall grasses and such too. Still need a shed. That'll be the next thing on our to-do list soon.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 13:01 »
Hi guys and thanks for the replys.
Well....im getting a better picture now...i would definately have a shed with a decent locks etc....vandals/kids....its just out of boredom i guess.....im hoping the site i have to choose a plot from is pretty secure and seems well organised and busy...im actually about to pop down there and have a nose ( advice from the council guy/rep) and make myself known....

Thanks

nitiram

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 16:43 »
When I took on my plot last autumn the old blokes advised me not to put a padlock on the shed becaus ethe vandals go for the sheds with padlocks on . Thing the tip is not to leave anything of value in the shed.  At least if there isn't a padlock on it they won't break the door down.  Only 'vandal' i get is a cat who has decided to shelter in the shed overnight and the fox who eats the bulbs.

xx
Mitigating against theft

Started by Dave T on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 11:03
by Paul Plots
xx
introduction ..

Started by threepennies on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2006, 21:28
by Jake
xx
Introduction

Started by greenie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2006, 21:44
by greenie
xx
introduction

Started by bramblewood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2006, 09:45
by bramblewood

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 34 queries.