Kale question

• 30 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Kale question
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 20:56 »
Shop bought stuff is YUUKK Suzi.  When you grow it yourself just pick the nice tender new leaves and don't over cook them.   Loverleeey

mkhenry

Kale question
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 21:04 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Well, the carrots, Mashauk, I should be putting this in such low case that Henry can't read it. I would not throw them out. If you find ten minutes, plant them up, if your soil is slug ridden use a cold frame, large pot or bucket, they won't be show quality but very early carrots to be had in the spring. They shall start bulking up, depending on their size and weather around April.

Psst. Don't tell anybody, I do sometimes transplant roots. I know it works. :lol:

Phsssssssssst it was wg not henry. but i agree with you i transplanted some this year in fact and had some success. :wink:

I opened this post with due care and worry and there it was, unbelievable!

I've gotta put it in the Guinness book of records, Henry is agreeing with me.

When trasplanting you should dig around the carrots so has you don't break all the fine hairs,then plant the whole root ball in the sames size hole pressing the outer edges firmly.  Donot press too near to the base of the plants.  Doing this will increase your chances of success.
And Gobs when your right your right. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

noshed

Kale question
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 21:19 »
Black Tuscan kale is great and very easy to grow
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

Kale question
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 21:25 »
ditto that, I also grow red winter and have found that with these types it's easier to de-bug them whitefly-wise before cooking, as the leaves aren't as frilly.

and kale is superbly hardy through the coldiest sub zero-iest temperatures!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

mashauk

Kale question
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 23:31 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
I am afraid Kale isnt hardy, its bomb proof  :wink:  grow loads myself and it is fantastic, as WG says before long you will be suprised how quick it will grow. Kale is one of the best veg for your eyes, it will help slow the effects of cataracts and Age related Macular degeneration, and that is a fact. Trust me I am an optician  :?

Well I hope you don't work for a certain well known high street chain of opticians, I'm not impressed with them at the moment!  Taking my glasses back for  third time as they're not right, that's when they're not breaking them during fitting :)

mashauk

Kale question
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 23:32 »
Well, the carrots, Mashauk, I should be putting this in such low case that Henry can't read it. I would not throw them out. If you find ten minutes, plant them up, if your soil is slug ridden use a cold frame, large pot or bucket, they won't be show quality but very early carrots to be had in the spring. They shall start bulking up, depending on their size and weather around April.

Psst. Don't tell anybody, I do sometimes transplant roots. I know it works. :lol:

Well I might give it a try, but they're basically just tiny leaves at the moment, no discernable carrots forming yet.

mashauk

Kale question
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 23:34 »
Quote from: "milkman"
ditto that, I also grow red winter and have found that with these types it's easier to de-bug them whitefly-wise before cooking, as the leaves aren't as frilly.

and kale is superbly hardy through the coldiest sub zero-iest temperatures!

This stuff's purple - dunno what it is though!

milkman

Kale question
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 08:41 »
if it's a glorious deep red with frilly leaves it could be Redbor.
Red Winter has flat oakleaf sort of shape leaves with pinky veins.

gobs

Kale question
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 09:48 »
Your carrots sound really little, Mashauk, but once you have them, there is not much to lose.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mushroom

Kale question
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 11:19 »
Kale is one of the best veg for your eyes, it will help slow the effects of cataracts and Age related Macular degeneration, and that is a fact.

How?

gobs

Kale question
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 13:48 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Kale is one of the best veg for your eyes, it will help slow the effects of cataracts and Age related Macular degeneration, and that is a fact.

How?

Lutein and something else in it, Aidy will know, that protects the eyes. In kale, spinach, spring greens, broccoli.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Kale question
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 16:11 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Well I hope you don't work for a certain well known high street chain of opticians, I'm not impressed with them at the moment!  Taking my glasses back for  third time as they're not right, that's when they're not breaking them during fitting :)

Nah, thought you would of sussed by now I am very anti corporate. Get yourself to a good independant optician.  :wink:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Kale question
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 16:19 »
Yep Gobs is correct. Lutein is a yellowish pigment found in egg yolk, some algae, and in many plants. Zeaxanthin is found in small amounts in most fruits and vegetables. Both are found in the retina, and both are found at relatively high concentration in the macular region of the retina. Zeaxanthin is preferentially found in the foveal region and lutein in the perifoveal region. Lutein and zeaxanthin may protect the retina in two ways, as antioxidants to oxidative stress from metabolism, and, by filtering short wavelengths of light they also reduce the oxidative effect of blue light.
Fact is eat more veg and fruit, its the ACE vitamins you need, Vit A, Vit C and Vit E to keep your eyes in good condition, also, GIVE UP SMOKING  :tongue2:  this has been proven to accelerate ARMD and Cataracts and keep the alcohol content down a bit too!

mashauk

Kale question
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 22:20 »
Quote from: "mashauk"

Nah, thought you would of sussed by now I am very anti corporate. Get yourself to a good independant optician.  :wink:

I will try next time,  I still can't see properly and am going to have to go elsewhere and get them tested (3rd time!) and then if the presription's not the same as they've given me I shall be doing sumfink about it :twisted:

gobs

Kale question
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 22:27 »
Go see Andy, Mashauk, bit of a Tour the France, have a weekend out at the same time and see his lottie. Shall I start an on-site tourist office? :lol:

xx
Kale question

Started by owein on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 10:27
by Aidy
xx
Another kale question

Started by Treehugger on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:03
by jennyb
xx
Sea Kale?

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2022, 16:14
by Learnerlady
xx
kale

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2019, 16:57
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 28 queries.