Prune dogwood when?

• 4 Replies

JohnB47

Prune dogwood when?
« on: February 17, 2014, 19:09 »
Hi all.

I planted three red stem dogwood bushes in Autumn 2012 and the missus said to crop them down low last Spring. I thought that was too soon so I vetoed that. They haven't put on much new growth since, although last summer was very dry here.

Now they're just starting to produce leaves. Is it ok to prune back now? Also, how much to prune, to encourage new growth?

Thanks.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Prune dogwood when?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 19:14 »
They are usually pruned hard on alternate years, so this is the one to go for it, any time between now and mid March.

The existing stems should be cut right off close to the base of the plant to eventually form a 'stool': they are being coppiced really.

A good feed of blood, fish & bone will see them grow nice bright stems for next winter.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 21:39 »
Thanks. That's a little job for tomorrow then, along with pruning the hydrangea.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:27 »
I do mine every year but don't prune until spring so I can enjoy their coloured stems over winter. You can prune them right down to the base as already said, or part way down to create a basic framework which is what I like to do because the heightened growth helps to protect other plants from the strong winds we get here. I have one whose main branches (with some tidying up) have been left to form a small laterally-spreading tree / large shrub. The new whippy growthy from the bottom gets cut off annually. This hard pruning really stimulates re-growth and I find they make about 3-4 foot of new growth during the year and don't seem to  mind if they are already budding when you do it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:34 »
I do mine every year but don't prune until spring so I can enjoy their coloured stems over winter. You can prune them right down to the base as already said, or part way down to create a basic framework which is what I like to do because the heightened growth helps to protect other plants from the strong winds we get here. I have one whose main branches (with some tidying up) have been left to form a small laterally-spreading tree / large shrub. The new whippy growthy from the bottom gets cut off annually. This hard pruning really stimulates re-growth and I find they make about 3-4 foot of new growth during the year and don't seem to  mind if they are already budding when you do it.

Thanks.

xx
Dogwood

Started by EzLou on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 16:22
by Vegpot
xx
Pruning Dogwood

Started by Zippy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 23:52
by Zippy
xx
When to prune?

Started by Ruyboy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 00:40
by Paul Plots
xx
Prune Ivy

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2018, 17:37
by robinahood

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 29 queries.