What to do with wood ash?

• 18 Replies

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
What to do with wood ash?
« on: March 30, 2014, 22:51 »
The last couple of days I've been burning 3 apple trees that I cut down over winter since they had fungal infections. So far I've collected a bucket full of ash (and there should be at least a couple more when I burn the rest), but not sure where to use it.

The options are: on my first early potatoes (manured with plenty of well rotted stable manure a few days ago, just before planting), on my onions (the bed had celery in it last year, but I was late, so it did not fully mature. I raked in a light dose of BFB just before planting a few days back), or the bed I'm about start digging for second earlies.

There is also a pile of soil sitting on a tarpaulin from last years toms that I've added some seaweed meal, bone meal, and chicken manure to, that will be used for this years container toms.

Or I could save it for the other beds I'm planning: carrots, peas, sorrel, celery, and in the poly: cucumbers, cucamelons, and passion fruit.

There are also 3 gooseberry bushes that are just getting going.

So what would you use it on now or save it for?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: What to do with wood ash?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 00:16 »
Potatoes, broad beans, strawberries and any fruiting plants..

These dont need it...
Or I could save it for the other beds I'm planning: carrots, peas, sorrel, celery, and in the poly: cucumbers, cucamelons, and passion fruit.

There are also 3 gooseberry bushes that are just getting going.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 00:21 »
Hi cg i also aquired a builders plastic trug full of woodash,i have spread it around my onions and garlic apparently onions love it i have also put a bit round rasps and some in pt ready for when i put tomatoes in ;)
diggity dig dig

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 02:03 »
There are other threads where people suggest that you should never put ash on your potatoes as it encourages scab.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17 »
Wood ash is known mainly for its potassium content, which makes it a good supplement for most plants, especially flowering and fruiting types.

It's less well known for having a calcium content much higher than the potassium - both of them are mainly present as oxides and carbonates, which makes it quite alkaline.

As Snoop has mentioned, although spuds need potassium, overall it's not a good addition for spuds, especially if the soil already has a pH of 7 or higher.

Has to be kept dry before use as the potassium in particular is highly soluble and easily leached away.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 11:59 »
Thanks for the replies.

So a bit on the onions now, and save the rest for when things are coming into flower/fruit?

I didn't know about the calcium content. Appreciate the info Jay!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:20 »
The lighter your soil and the more it rains the quicker it will leach out, but I'd still suggest applying it before flowering/fruiting for the most benefit.

(Not suitable for ericaceous plants like blueberries of course, although you haven't mentioned having any of those.)

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 14:31 »
I used to have a problem with blossom end rot affecting toms and peppers, which I understand is to do with irregular watering and calcium deficiency. Last year I added ash to the soil and had the best crop ever of both and not a one lost to blossom end rot. The watering was just as erratic as ever (hard to keep the soil moist in our summer conditions), so I put the success down to the ash. It also made a huge difference to the French beans I grew.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 16:09 »
Thanks for the tips Jay and Snoop. I'll definitely save some for the toms and sweet peppers (which I forgot to mention).

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 16:16 »

Not wishing to hijack, but what about charcoal nugget dust from the B.B.Q.?  :unsure: Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 16:24 »
Charcoal briquettes are made mainly from powdered charcoal, bonded together with some form of starch, and other additives to improve the burning performance.

It's the 'other additives' which would concern me, as it's hard to be entirely sure what they are, and whether the residues are toxic or not.  :unsure:

I certainly wouldn't use the ashes from the 'instant lighting' version.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 16:34 »
So suppose we're organic gardeners who want to give our spuds a good potassium feed. What would you recommend if not ash?

Steve
Never stop learning

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 16:40 »
I believe there are a few 'organic' speciality potato fertilisers on the market, but I can't vouch for their effectiveness - fish, blood and bone or other fairly balanced general fertilisers does the job for most people.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 16:45 »
FBB I can manage! Although our soil is fairly acid so I might risk a bit of ash , especially for the tomatoes.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 19:05 »
I note that you say you have a pile of soil from last years toms that you have added seaweed meal,BFB & chicken pellets to ready for this years toms. May I suggest that you use fresh compost or enriched soil for these as you risk introducing disease to your indoor toms by using last years. Add it to the garden but not where your potatoes are going as they are the same family.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
xx
Wood ash

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2012, 23:09
by gavinjconway
xx
Wood Ash

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2021, 10:35
by welshdigger
xx
wood ash

Started by alfieplot162 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 18:08
by philsmith1967

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 34 queries.