best laying hens?

• 20 Replies

spud

• Experienced Member
best laying hens?
« on: January 26, 2011, 13:07 »
I hope to have my new henhouse built in the next month or so, and got to wondering what breed I would try next ...

I want these birds to be good layers, in the past I've had a few breeds maran, ancona but mainly brown hybrid hens ...

has anyone got experience of leghorn, black rock, RIR  or what would folks recomend? I have some gamefowl that I use for hatching out eggs ;-)

Table:
Black Rock 3 outa 4
White Star 1 outa 4

TIA

Cheers

:)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 15:18 by spud »
Best Regards,

spud

helens-hens

Re: best laying hens?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 13:52 »
Hi Spud. I am still pretty new to all of this but I have 2 of the types you mentioned: blackrocks. They are both very good layers, 1 lays about 6 days in every 7, the other about 4-5 days out of every 7 and this has been throughout the winter, including the really cold spell we had (sorry my egg laying stats aren't very scientific looking!).

They seem very hardy birds, tame and quite friendly. I guess thats a thumbs up for them from me !
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 14:05 »
Thumbs up for blackrocks from me too. Mine (Mrs Rhythm - got her with a Bluebelle called Mrs Blues  ;)) laid 6 eggs a week for 2 years then deopped down to 4 or 5 a week. They have been known to still lay the occasional egg at 8 years old. They are friendly, hardy and  lovely looking hens  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 15:10 »
thank you thats a good start for the blackrocks ... what sort of price can one expect to pay for one of these? around here they're asking 12 quid and it hurts, I can get the hybrid brown hens for under a fiver.

I was thinking that if I could get a good breed of hen and then rear my own chicks every year, would save a few bob. I get a few eggs from a local guy that rears meat birds, and that keeps us in chicken.

Cheers

Totty

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 19:09 »
Hi,

We have a small mixed flock of mainly nice looking birds but i got two White Stars that i hoped would keep us in eggs if any others slowed. They lay huge white eggs, 6 each a week, and have done since they started laying in september. They are a leghorn hybrid i believe and totally recomend them.

Totty

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:57 »
I've never seen these locally, but I'll check them out, tnx.

Cheers

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:46 »
thats not a bad price for blackrocks, bear in mind they will lay for a longer time span than the hybrid brown hens.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 13:22 »
£12 here too for the Blackrocks, when I got mine they were £10, but as Joy says, fantastic birds, I will always go for them in future.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 14:15 »
I have read somewhere in the last couple of days that you can only get 'real' Blackrocks from certain sellers in the UK who have hatched eggs from a hatchery in Muirfield which is the main source.

As far as I know a Blackrock is simply a cross between a Rhode Island Red and Plymouth Rock (?). My 2 are from the Domestic Fowl Trust & looking at their website they actually call them Rhode Rocks.

I was wondering when a Blackrock is really a Blackrock - does the Scottish hatchery just have the licence for the name?

There should be a picture below of 1 of mine (well I think she is!)
Harriet230111.JPG

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 14:18 »
she looks quite a bit darker than my blackrock, but yes the people who developed this breed are the only ones (and those breeders that they allow) that can call their birds blackrocks. The same thing goes for bluebelles.

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 15:24 »
hh thats a nice looking hen, I've seen some pics of 'black rocks' and they look dirty, scruffy looking ! if you know what I mean. They have a browny black colour with cross look on their face and dark coloured legs ... not very pleasing to look at.
As has been said, perhaps its in the breeding! i'm still tempted towards the white leghorn, 280 - 300 eggs and good scavangers  when on the free range, I could put up with a white egg for that, but I'd still like to hear what others have and what they think.
TIA

Cheers

helens-hens

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 15:34 »
Hi Spud, I'll pass your comments onto Harriet (the hen in the pic), she will be thrilled!

On a serious note, it really has to be down to personal choice. I think the white leghorns are a lovely looking bird and they are known as good layers though possibly a bit 'flightier' than some types.

Funnily enough you mention putting up with white eggs - I can't remember the last time I had one & was starting to think that if I get another hen I may look for a layer of white eggs rather than brown!

Totty

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 22:43 »
Its nice to have a mixture i think. Nice little bantam eggs, "traditional"brown eggs, and whopping great white ones! Could do with some nice blue ones to throw into the mix....

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 14:16 »
Its nice to have a mixture i think. Nice little bantam eggs, "traditional"brown eggs, and whopping great white ones! Could do with some nice blue ones to throw into the mix....

You're correct, but I worry about larger breeds fighting with smaller ones when all housed together.

Cheers

uktitan

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 14:57 »
we have all different sizes housed together.

We have a Huge Blue Orpington (Bouncing Betty) we have Blackrocks, copper black maran, columbine (blue egg laying hybrid), we also have a couple of tiny Polands, a Banty Australorp, a Banty barnevelder (this is the hed Hen BTW hehe) they all get on very well together.

The Columbine's are very good layers, Posie lays 6 eggs a week, then takes a day off, Her Eggs are kinda light olive green colour. also columbines can lay anything from a pastel blue to a Khaki colour.
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

xx
hens not laying

Started by shaunie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 08:19
by joyfull
xx
hens not laying

Started by uncle rog on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 12:30
by Helenaj
wink
Hens not laying... help!

Started by Button07 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 14:18
by IMOmimey
xx
hens not laying

Started by adi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 07:53
by adi

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 35 queries.