Air sourced heat pumps

• 9 Replies

jezza

Air sourced heat pumps
« on: February 01, 2023, 22:03 »
Hello has any one any idea what it costs to run a air sourced heat pump,my local council want me to move into a bungalow heated with the system what sort of heat do these systems give out council wont change it back to solid fuel and they will not put a bath in the bungalow it has a wet room      jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Air sourced heat pumps
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 22:22 »
I've done a bit of reading up on the Money saving expert forums, on the threads about heat pumps.

There are a lot a variables, not least how well insulated the house is. Also whether the radiators are sufficiently sized (you often need bigger ones, in order to get more heat out). The way you use the heating is not always exactly the same as the instant heat of gas central heating.

It also depends on how close the heat pump is to the house (it need not be actually on the wall, and I think is often advised not to be actually on the wall owing to noise and perhaps vibration), but if it is a long way away from the house, then you will lose heat during the transfer.

At the moment, the cost of electricity is very high, and so they are not that cheap to run unless it is a really well insulated property.

I would ask questions about the property's insulation, when the heat pump was installed, which make /model it is, whether the radiators were upgraded, (or if no radiators, what the heating system is e.g. underfloor heating) etc.

There is a key measure of 3 for a well-set-up system. If memory serves right, this is that it generates 3kWh for each 1kWh used - or something like that anyway. If the system score is 3 or more, it's doing OK. If it's less than 3 then it is not very efficient.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 08:09 »
Hello from what I see they cannot be efficient as the company that fitted the systems are at one or the other of the bungalows every 3 weeks in winter getting them to work,the systems bern in about 8 years, looks like itll be extra clothing     jezza

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 11:54 »
You might be interested in this, a story about a home kept at 70 F (21 C) using a heat pump, no furnace, in our northern state of Maine (very cold):
https://www.mainepublic.org/environment-and-outdoors/2023-01-25/this-maine-home-can-stay-70-degrees-without-a-furnace-even-when-its-freezing-outside

The home also stays cool in the summer.  Key tricks include a very well-insulated build and large windows to capture sunlight.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 12:09 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 21:49 »
Key tricks include a very well-insulated build and large windows to capture sunlight.

Indeed, if you're designing from scratch it's far easier to incorporate all the necessary elements.

In the UK it is widely recognised that retrofitting multiple old properties to a necessary insulation standard will be exorbitantly costly, even if practical.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 10:39 »
Understood that the linked article really only applies to new, purpose-built construction. I just thought it was interesting, and applicable to the subject.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 18:40 »
Oh yes, definitely interesting!

I saw a house on TV recently which had been built to Passivhaus principles. It had a single radiator in the kitchen, to heat the whole house on those extremely cold days when the other systems did not work.

There are two small housing communities in my home town being built to the same principles at present. :-)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 21:06 »
That's a good idea, if built to good modern standards.
However the Governments plan to retrofit old houses with ASHP just seems like a pipe-dream  ::)
If you install a heat pump into a house which is not airtight and is uninsulated it can actually produce more CO2 per square meter than that of a gas boiler.
https://www.asbuilttesting.co.uk/useful-information/is-my-home-suitable-for-an-air-source-heat-pump

jezza

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 22:59 »
Hello just got the energy efficiency rating for the bungalow with the air sourced heat pump its E it says has the potential to be B,cant see that with a 6 inch diameter hole in the wall facing east,holes for the carbon monoxide vent   
  jezza

jezza

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 23:12 »
Waiting for a gas installer to turn the air sourced heat pump on,I did remind them its electric,cant do electric says the advisor we are gas installers,get In touch with the land lord he says i said that's who told me to call the gas installers,he put me on hold for 20 minutes eventually came back said that they could do it as the system contained a gaseous liquid,asked him if his brain was the same liquid,they're coming Wednesday to turn it on (heating not his brain)  jezza

xx
Stay safe in the heat

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post July 20, 2022, 21:00
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Heat retaining socks that actually work.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2023, 12:17
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Peak time 'leccy when you have a Heat Pump at home

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post November 06, 2022, 19:58
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 47 queries.