saving seeds

• 7 Replies

derekmc

saving seeds
« on: September 28, 2013, 08:06 »
Does anyone save seeds would like to whats the best way to save runner bean seeds out of pod or in them? Derek
Derek

rowan57

• Experienced Member
Re: saving seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 08:43 »
Let them dry down until the pods are crispy, then shell them and lay them out indoors to finish drying off. Once fully hard and dry, pop them in an envelope and label.

These are some of my Runner Bean seed from this year;

P1020207 by rowan.godfrey, on Flickr

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 09:01 »
Does anyone save seeds would like to whats the best way to save runner bean seeds out of pod or in them?
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
is a useful site if you want to save your own seed.  Find the vegetable type and then scroll to the bottom of the page to find instructions on keeping your own seed.

Best to only save seed from "open pollinated" varieties as they will come true from seed, thus avoid keeping seed of F1 varieties - seed saved from F1 varieties is likely to give you a Heinz-57 mix of offspring - similar risk if you save seeds from supermarket produce - no easy way of telling if they were originally grown from F1 seed or not.

Some people have success with those, personally I prefer not to spend several months growing a crop from seed of unknown provenance to then discover that it has rubbish fruit, or is highly susceptible to disease etc. ... but it is also possible to breed the next-great-thing by chance of course :)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 16:19 »
As I understand it, beans are not profligate crossers, so you should get away with a mixed bag like mine and each variety more or less coming true year after year.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 19:26 »
Beans do cross readily with other runners, so if you had a mixed row to start with, the chances are you will have cross pollination. Some of the new self pollinating strains such as firestorm may be different though.

Totty

gobs

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 23:26 »
They do not cross, hence everybody - who can be bothered - save their own seed.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:02 »
Runner beans do cross, gobs cos they are fertilised by bees.............it's the Frenchies that are more stable as they are self pollinating.

I remember pics of DDs runners crossed with his purple French beans  :blink:

Realseeds say
Runner Beans DO cross very easily, so only grow one variety if you want to keep the seed.

Totty

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 12:17 »
They do not cross, hence everybody - who can be bothered - save their own seed.

The reason everyone saves their own seed is because it's so easy to do, not because they don't cross!

If you want varietal purity, you should isolate your seed saving beans by around 800m from other types.
It's also important (for the sake of improving a strain) that seed is saved from the strongest growing, and best shaped pods. Otherwise it's likely that over time, your strain will deteriorate.

I have a very strong strain of stenner, the very first good beans from the strongest plant are sown straight away, before they are dried. I'll put about 8 plants in a couple of big pots in the greenhouse, and they are now producing my seed for next year. Again I'll save the seed from the strongest plant and therefore be improving my strain twice a year.
3 shows, 3 firsts with em this year so it must be workin!

Totty

xx
Saving seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 20:26
by mumofstig
xx
Saving seeds

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2018, 09:12
by mumofstig
xx
Saving Seeds

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 24, 2006, 07:13
by hayles62
thumbup
saving your own seeds

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 20:34
by barley

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 36 queries.