Building own polytunnel

• 7 Replies

Longshanks

Building own polytunnel
« on: September 06, 2017, 19:13 »
I'm putting together the bits required for a 6x3 metres ish polytunnel, but I'm not sure what to use for the plastic sheeting as I don't want to spend a fortune. I am considering a few translucent tarpaulins for a tenner each. Will they work?

snow white

Re: Building own polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 19:23 »
tbh they wont last a season.  False economy on this will be more expensive in the long run.  Probably cost you £40-50 for proper stuff.   it is a faff to put it on and you really do not want to do it every year.

Longshanks

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 14:11 »
Sorry for late reply, but I was doing some investigation. The tarps wouldn't work and would be more expensive than £50, so thanks for making me look.

I know how to build the frame and sling the plastic over, but not sure how to keep it tight. If I dig a trench at the side of the polytunnel, bury the end of the plastic and then pull over the top and then bury the other end, do I need some sort of fixing at the top or down the sides? I didn't think screwing through the plastic would be a good idea.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 15:23 »
Some people screw through the plastic and battens at the bottom, some people just bury the edges

This might help
http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=polytunnel&Page=3

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 19:36 »
As said false economy, phone a tunnel supplier ask about the poly, and want and they will pull it off the roll and post it to you, it costs what it costs at least you know you have the right poly for the job, good luck with it,,,
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:30 by wapello »
Colin

grinling

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 20:10 »
if you use wood for the door frame then use a metpost for the wood as it stops rot, unlike the person who put the polytunnel in the garden of the house we bought.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 20:50 »

I know how to build the frame and sling the plastic over, but not sure how to keep it tight. If I dig a trench at the side of the polytunnel, bury the end of the plastic and then pull over the top and then bury the other end, do I need some sort of fixing at the top or down the sides? I didn't think screwing through the plastic would be a good idea.
There'll be several views on this, but no, just bury the plastic in a 9" to 12" trench all the way around. That's how I did mine six years ago and it's worked out fine. You do need special polystyrene strips to put between metal supports and the sheeting however

Miamivice

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 11:58 »
I built a base rail round the permimeter from timber approx 1x 6, then held the cover to the board in like a double rebate with some roofing lats.

Only the hoops were from an actual existing polytunnel.
10E644D1-18CF-485D-88C8-9D13F63C161D.jpeg

xx
building a shed

Started by gardenermatt on Design and Construction

26 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 15:12
by angelavdavis
xx
Building a shelter

Started by Andy1981 on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 19:11
by grinling
xx
Building a net-tunnel...

Started by Bigfatsi on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 11:36
by surbie100
xx
Building a Rockery

Started by kings on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2017, 13:45
by kings

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.