Home made Tomato feed

• 4 Replies

Shieldsy

Home made Tomato feed
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:18 »
Does anyone make their own 'Homebrew' for feeding tomatoes or aubergines? If yes what is the recipe :-) Or is the shop bought ones my best bet?

Also, I've read the thread on making Nettle tea but what other home made feeds can be made and how do I go about making it?

Any help/suggestion welcomed.

Cheers,

Shieldsy

philskin

Re: Home made Tomato feed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:08 »
When my old chap was alive ,he used to go over the fields and pick up sheep muck . Once he had a decent bag full ,he would then place it into a hessian sack tie the end and hang it in a spare water butt filled with water . This would be left a couple of weeks and then used for the feed ,dont know if its the correct thing to do but he used to have some lovely tommies     phil
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:14 »
With my dad it was fresh horse muck but the system was the same, hessian sack/Onion bag, suspended in spare dustbin, I am tempted to do this again. In fact I am off to the garden to cut the top of a prop corn barrel as soon as the kettles boiled.

Bob

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:11 »
The soaking manures are a general fertiliser and can be used on any plants. Tomatoes need a high potassum content and you will not get that from just manure. You can get it from wood ash. Riddle out the charcoal bits and mix 2lbs in a 2 gallon bucket of water, and give it a good stir. You can use it with the manure solution.

OR; Go to Wilkinsons and buy a litre of their own solution for £2 which should last you throughout the season.

David.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 21:25 »
The soaking manures are a general fertiliser and can be used on any plants. Tomatoes need a high potassum content and you will not get that from just manure. You can get it from wood ash. Riddle out the charcoal bits and mix 2lbs in a 2 gallon bucket of water, and give it a good stir. You can use it with the manure solution.

OR; Go to Wilkinsons and buy a litre of their own solution for £2 which should last you throughout the season.

I grow a vast amount of tomatoes, so a litre of Wilkos stuff would go nowhere, but I do buy some (when severly reduced) as feed to boost my show marrows' weights:

But for my tomato crop I use comfrey, seaweed and mulches to boost production, and grow a few more (saved seeds) than it would need to produce the same amount with bought fertilizers, and I also use loads of nettles for feeds:

xx
Home made liquid feed?

Started by coldandwindy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 08, 2021, 11:59
by al78
xx
Home made seaweed feed

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 17:42
by hubballi
xx
Home made liquid feed, uses.

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 08:23
by potatogrower
xx
Home made liquid feed for tomatoes?

Started by richard2510 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 15:13
by stompy

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 29 queries.