Fresh horse poo

• 5 Replies

pumpkinpete

Fresh horse poo
« on: February 17, 2017, 20:05 »
I finally managed to get a local supply of fresh horse poo.  Got to line out the car with polythene to collect it after trying unsuccessfully to buy a load and get  it delivered to the allotment.  The pile is building up nicely and I have it covered to stop the rain leaching it.  My query is :- There's very little straw mixed in with the poo, so should I just leave it like this  to rot down, or turn it and mix in some straw, or start to spread some over the ground now to let the worms take it down?
Pumpkinpete

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Fresh horse poo
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:10 »
One of my plot neighbours gets this as well,  It is where they poo pick the stables and fields, so there is only a little straw, as you have found.

You can stack it and leave it to rot as you have, or mix it with straw or green waste to produce compost.  My plot neighbour mixes it with grass cuttings and shredded paper and leaves it for 6 months or so.  It turns into good stuff  :)

arh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:19 »
This is collected by going on what owners call "Poo Patrol", around the paddock usually, as in small spaces the poo builds up and reduces the amount of grass that's eatable. sometimes picking out of a stable to reduce straw waste too. Me, I just bag it and leave it for 6 months, (though, I'm only just starting again as I have moved). If you take bags to the owners, you will "usually" find that they are willing to put the poo straight into your bags, saves them having to find bags, then you just pick up the bags. (unless they collect with a quad and trailer and tip)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:23 by arh »

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 14:07 »
I get unlimited supplies of poo from friends with horses. They tend to dump the poo pickings in one area for a while, then leave it and start another. I just collect from the oldest pile and use it straight away. Any surplus stays in bags or goes on the compost heap.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 15:14 »
Are we still advised to do the "broad bean test" for aminopyralid in horse poo? I am likely to have a local (next field) source of uncomposted horse manure once I move this summer but I do not know how careful the neighbour is about their feed source.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 19:11 »
I have found fresh is full of weed seeds it needs to be well composed with grass etc to get it hot or leave it for a year or two before using, or you can bury it deep and plant on top . so the weed seeds die before reaching the light
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
Fresh horse manure

Started by grumpaflump on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2016, 20:54
by ilan
xx
Fresh horse manure

Started by richy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 23:17
by snowdrops
xx
Fresh horse manure

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 21:46
by salmonking
xx
Fresh'ish horse manure

Started by ThatsNice on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 16:58
by conteasy

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 39 queries.