one chicken gone

• 14 Replies

karenn

one chicken gone
« on: March 27, 2007, 22:01 »
One of the local foxes (we know there is more than one) has finally got one of my hens today, i let the girls out at 8.15 this morning, went back to check on them at just after 9.00 and there was a pile of feathers and one chook less, i suppose i am lucky it only took the one, but of all of them it had to be my daughters favourite "princess", she was one of the first that we bought. Very sad day today.  Considering electric fencing although very expensive not too keen on it because the childen play where the chooks are or maybe attach welded mesh to the fence panels and sink it into the ground aswell instead of just stock fencing AND A GUN LICENSE!!!
"When counting, try not to mix chickens with blessings."

muntjac

one chicken gone
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 22:05 »
if you hang plastic carrier bag strips to the electric fencing clear of the ground the kids wil see it and stay away .it only hurts once when your shocked .believe me if you tell them to stay away they will .. that fox will have cubs and now she will be back make as many barriers between the chucks and it as possible . welded mesh panels sunk down 2 ft or so wil do . clear all rubbish  branches tal weeeds from the boundary fencing so it cannot wait unseen .
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
one chicken gone
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 22:41 »
Bad luck karenn  :cry:

How big is the piece of land which you need to protect  :?:

karenn

one chicken gone
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 00:04 »
at the moment they are allowed to wander around 4 acres but i have a small paddock area of about 1/2 acre which maybe i could keep them in, but i love the fact that whether im on the front, the back garden, the fields or the paddock there are chickens wandering about, soppy i know  :oops: but in order to keep them safe maybe that will no longer be possible.

muntjac

one chicken gone
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 00:07 »
they wil be fine in that amount ground ....... and safer believe me ..... foxy will be back now she knows she can take em  :x

purplebat

one chicken gone
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:35 »
sorry about your chook Karenn, it's gutting! fingers crossed you can keep Mr Fox away from the others   :)
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

karenn

one chicken gone
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 19:47 »
Quote from: "purplebat"
sorry about your chook Karenn, it's gutting! fingers crossed you can keep Mr Fox away from the others   :)

unfortunately not, another one gone this morning in about a 15 mins, she must wait till i leave to take the kids to school, i have builders working on my property and they arrived 15mins after i left and they saw feathers in the run when they got there this morning. can't believe it, i cant do anything about security until the weekend, both me and hubby work, so everybody will have to be kept locked up, until arrive home at about 3.30pm, hubby is making a fox trap at work tomorrow so that will be ready for friday morning, does anybody know the best bait for foxes, apart from live chickens of course, thought about a nice juicy blooming steak.

muntjac

one chicken gone
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 20:04 »
dead pigeon or rabbit go out tonite looking for road kil bait the trap with the first ligh use gloves to pick it up dont put human smell on it .keep the girls locked up from now till its caught or shot .sorry to be right but it will come and come again until their are no birds left .please note folks these are the only foxes i take out ... its my food not the blooming foxes

karenn

one chicken gone
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 20:45 »
ok thanks for the advice, although dont fancy stopping my car on a busy street to pick up a dead animal, i can just image the looks i will get,  :lol:
when you say dont get human smell on it, what about the trap, when building a cage to trap it there will be scentt on that also, ( we are making it out of strong welded mesh),  will this put the fox off  :?:

muntjac

one chicken gone
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 20:47 »
no the fox will have smelled you around he place but the bait will make a difference ....you dont go down streets for it .. take a ride round the countryside :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
one chicken gone
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 23:02 »
Quote from: "karenn"
at the moment they are allowed to wander around 4 acres but i have a small paddock area of about 1/2 acre which maybe i could keep them in, but i love the fact that whether im on the front, the back garden, the fields or the paddock there are chickens wandering about, soppy i know  :oops: but in order to keep them safe maybe that will no longer be possible.

Well it may only take you a few minutes to cook your eggs, (that's if they are laying yet?), but how long does it take you to find them in 4 acres???lol

karenn

one chicken gone
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 23:19 »
Well it may only take you a few minutes to cook your eggs, (that's if they are laying yet?), but how long does it take you to find them in 4 acres???lol[/quote]

I seem to have very well trained hens, they only ever lay in the nest boxes in their coop (or in the goose's house - when they feel brave !!!) :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
one chicken gone
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 23:47 »
That's lucky!!! lol  Most of ours lay in the boxes.  A couple lay in the house, and occasionally we get one in the run.  Its a large run, but can't let them free range, worried about them getting onto the A52 and causing an accident!

But we di get some more wire from an auction the other week, so their run will be even bigger!

karenn

one chicken gone
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 13:34 »
RIP Mrs Fox.  We got her this morning about 7.30, just as she was stalking our gander Jim. I am not sure how I felt about this, i am glad that the chickens will be safe for a while, till the next fox comes along, but i cant say it was a very nice feeling to actually kill an animal, which incidently was done by a friend (who is licenced) with a double barrell shot gun,  so at least it was a quick end.

muntjac

one chicken gone
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 14:19 »
well now you gotta be even more watchful cos foxes come in pairs  :wink:

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Can anyone ID this chicken please

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 12:21
by rainie
xx
Yet another ill chicken!!!

Started by Prod on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 16:21
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicken run

Started by wildeone on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 22:22
by Foxy

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 33 queries.