Aggression

• 4 Replies

Wyandottie

Aggression
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:25 »
Troubles have begun.  One of my six new hens (a Silver laced Wyandotte) is continually attacking a young Light Sussex.  The attacks comprise the Wyandotte pecking and pulling feathers from the Light Sussex, which are then eaten.  The Light Sussex seems to spend most of her time hiding in the coop, and when she ventures out rushes around the run and appears very nervous.  We have only had them since Saturday, and I understand that they have to establish a pecking order.  However, is there anything I can do?  Should I be worried about this?  I have even begun to worry that the Wyandotte is not a hen but a cock - however as it too is fairly young, and I am inexperienced, I don't know!  Any helpful advice would be really appreciated.

Hengist

Re: Aggression
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:48 »
I understand feather eating implies a lack of protein - however, as they are all new together it does sound like establishing the order doesn't it?  If it persists I might be tempted to isolate the one who's doing it for a few days - to give the others a chance to establish some sort of heirarchy first. Don't know if this counts as helpful advice but it's just a few thoughts. :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:29 »
Sounds like good advice Hengist. Making sure they can all see each other in their respective runs.
What is your feeding regime Wyandottie ?

Rob 8)

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:11 »
Welcome Wyandotte,
You could try offering the hens a small amout of a tinned fish variety of cat food to help build up quick protien, and make sure to have grit and oyster shell available at all times.
Hang up a brussel sprout stalk, cabbage, or spring greens for them to peck at too. 
Are you sure they are not cramped in their run?
Best wishes,
cathangirl

Wyandottie

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 18:05 »
Thanks everyone for your help.  I did discover earlier today that the water container had leaked everywhere and consequently they had been without water for a few hours yesterday.  I am wondering if that's why they were all a bit stressed.  Have noticed other pecking going on between others in the bunch too.  I am feeding layers pellets on a help yourself basis, and picked up a bag of mixed corn to give them a small treat before bedtime.  Haven't got any grit yet but will do so, and am also saving egg shells to bake and grind up.  The grass is almost all gone in the run, so I will start supplementing with some fresh vegetables and green stuff too.  I dare say I will be asking more questions before too long.  It's like having my first child all over again!   

xx
Aggression to Chicks by Muscovy female

Started by landolphe on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 01, 2016, 21:42
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 33 queries.