Collection Help Cut Flower and Veg

• 7 Replies

Ed89

Collection Help Cut Flower and Veg
« on: April 02, 2012, 19:33 »
Hi all,

First ever post.

I'm setting up a small vegetable, herb and cut flower garden at work to show the young people that go through our activity centre the advantage of 'growing your own'

Found quite a few places that do good value herb and veg seed collections to get me going, but not found any decent cut flower collections.

Do you know of any?

And has anyone got any opions on any collections they have bought?

All help and advise is very much welcomed!

Ed
Young and first year growing looking for help and advice along the way!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Collection Help Cut Flower and Veg
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 20:20 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I've had a quick look round some of the more well known seed catalogues and can't see any seed collections which include a range of flowers good for cutting.

I suspect that you might have to get a number of single packets.

Do you have any ideas as to which cut flowers you might like?  Do they need to be grown from seed each year, or permanent plants / bulbs too?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 20:58 »
Good luck with the project, I got thrown into doing gardening as part of a project years ago not really knowing anything!! It was fab for all involved  :D
 We did some veg in pots like spring onions and radish, if I had known more I would have suggested loads more for growing in pots like potatoes!!  We did manage to do some cookery sessions with the produce as well so doubly rewarding.

What about some edible flowers like nasturtiums?

The first thing I ever grew from seed on my own was sweetpeas - that was about 5 yrs ago and Ive been hooked since!! Since they need cutting loads to keep them flowering, and tying in there is always something to do with them as well - so maybe good to keep their interest??

If you havent already have a look at the frugal living bit on the site, Ive only just discovered it ans there are a good few ideas on there.

Ed89

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 21:09 »
So it all started when I asked if I could make my own tiny veg patch outside my flat on site, they said yes. Now I've got potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions, cut and come again salad growing and in the ground, a small range of herbs in window boxes and sweet peppers, chillies and aubergines in my blow away greenhouse.

Yeah some permenant flower plants would work, what suggestions do you have?

And hi ulsterfairy sounds like you've done exactly what I'm just getting started in! Edible flowers sound cool, can see the kids really enjoying that. I've actually just planted some sweetpeas I got from this months Gardeners' World.

Cheers

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 21:11 »
Dahlias aren't quite permanent, in that they need to be lifted every winter and stored somewhere dry and frost-free, but they are wonderful cut flowers.

I'm growing calendula, cornflowers, cosmos and sweet peas this year, as well as attempting sunflowers.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 21:18 »
Hi Ed  :)
Tried your local wilko's ? 3 for 2 on seeds and catch them the right time of the year and they are quite often sold off cheap. Usually a decent range of flowers both annual and biannual/perennial.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 00:38 »
Last year I found that cornflowers make excellant cut flowers and last at least a week in a vase.  Also babies breath or gypsophila (easy from seed), asters easy from seed,  I recently found you can use geraniums as cut flowers as well (also easy to grow from seed), wilko's freesia corms, I like sweet peas but they only seem to last three days in a vase with me.  Small gladiolas nanus range (you can get these in wilko as well, they are bulbs or corms 24" flower stem.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Ed89

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 20:20 »
I ended up going to PremierSeeds on ebay, couldn't really argue with over 100,000 reviews 98. something % positive!

Ordered easter Sunday so hopefully will be arriving soonish.

£22 on plently to fill up a 16 bed plot, and expect plenty left over for next year or to swap around when it's my turn to get hold of the seed pass the parcel!

Went for your advice on the cornflowers sclarke624, any growing advice?

Ed :)

xx
Yearly Seed Collection

Started by scentedstock on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 21:33
by puravida
clip
What is the flower?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 19:25
by 3 allotments
clip
Name that flower

Started by cc on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2019, 19:20
by sunshineband
xx
flower for i d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 20:50
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 35 queries.