Yearly Seed Collection

• 14 Replies

scentedstock

Yearly Seed Collection
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:54 »
I was wondering how much everyone spends on seeds every year. My order has come to £120 and was wondering if this is too much or have other people places orders bigger than this. What's the average?

Rob the rake

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:57 »
'Bout £100 this time, but this involves a departure from almost all my usual varieties (except potatoes) so it's a lot more than usual.

Interesting to note though that I got about 50 packets of end of date Suttons seeds from the local boot sale for £4, and STILL ordered a further 25 or so packs of fresh seed from Realseeds and Tuckers.

Must be bonkers. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

brucesgirl

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:39 »
About £60 including seed pots. Didn't need to spend this much but I love shopping!! And have bought some veg seeds in different varieties to see which I prefer.
And I work all day so really have to buy online which usually works out more expensive.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:51 »
As little as possible.  3 years ago I spent £70 but that included my seed potatoes and onions sets, then last year about £20 as I save as much as I can, sometimes get seeds for presents and I swap some too for different varieties.

This year will be about £20 too I think.  But I'm not that bothered about unusual stuff, the run of the mill veggies do us quite nicely.

WG.

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:55 »
You won't be buying leek seed then GA :lol:
And I won't be buying 3" pots  8)

Trillium

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 16:18 »
I spend the equivalent of about 30 pounds a year - mostly to try new heirlooms that I'd like to narrow down to the few favourites. I give away a fair bit of my seeds and plants so that's a big factor as well. Once I decide which I like best, I'll save all my own seed as heirlooms are open pollinated (and none of my neighbours grow veggies, which would cross breed with my plants). After that, I'd only buy a few new introduction annual seed pkts as I'm quickly running out of garden space  :(

mumsy

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 21:50 »
As most you know I am working at T&M, I didn't know when I started there that I get 50% off, as I am only temping during the busy period.  I don't have a lottie, mores the pity, but I have a patch in the garden.  Last year I had bought end of season seeds from the garden centre, some only 50p a pkt.  I think I spent about £15 but I didn't have much choice .  So this year I have sat down & chosen everything, my bill came to £13!!! I even have cucumber seeds that are usually £8!! I am quite chuffed!!! :)

GreenOwl

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 09:44 »
I've only got a small veg patch in the garden (10 sq foot I think).  I spent about £15 on seeds last year and as I've got saved seed about £5 this year.

David.

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 10:41 »
Only about £25 (excluding potatoes, garlic, shallots & onion setts) and about half of that was for 2lbs of mustard and cress seed for sprouting (my use by 1992 mustard seed is no longer germinating), as I try to grow as much as I can from saved seed.

WG.

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 10:49 »
Quote from: "David."
my use by 1992 mustard seed is no longer germinating
Shoddy product eh David !!   :D

I read somewhere that charlock seeds were found to have germinated on demolition sites.  They reckoned the seed had lain under the foundations for 80 years.

Trillium

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 21:19 »
What are charlock seeds? Never heard of them before.

WG.

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 21:23 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
What are charlock seeds? Never heard of them before.
Wild mustard  :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlock

purplebean

Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 14:08 »
I was amazed when I saw how much some of you have spent and then I added up my purchases so far and they come to £70  :shock:  I'm going to the West Yorkshire Potato Day as well so that will add a bit more. I also have lots of seeds left from last year so i suppose I would have spent more if I didn't have those.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 20:51 »
Hi... HOW much :?:  cor blumey!! reading some of the amounts you've all spent?? :) does you realise 'ow much overtime that represents to an everyday workin' guy likes me :?:  :lol:  :lol:
No seriously I've been very lucky this year, in cash I've got away with less than a tenner for my onions and tatties (3 types tats-2 onions).
Through the work I do a good few of my customers choose goods from H/base, spend and save card  :!: Thank you very very much, I'll 'ave a bit of that :D , So the last bonus I got was for well over £70, that paid for all me seedsand as a bonus won me some brownie points with OH as of a set of side tables. :D  :D They came in just at the right time an' yes I were lucky :D  :D .....Bye PAH...STILL :) 'in :D

puravida

• Experienced Member
Yearly Seed Collection
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 21:33 »
Well last year was my first proper go at it all with five newly built raised beds to fill.
I blew well over £100 on seed.  I filled the beds with plants and grew everything I could but and I'd say about £80 worth is still sitting here in a box in front of me!!!

Mrs Puravida might be puting her foot down this year I think  :lol:
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

question
Collection Help Cut Flower and Veg

Started by Ed89 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 20:20
by Ed89
xx
help with seed id

Started by Spana on General Gardening

49 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:46
by iggyboy
xx
perennial seed

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2013, 11:21
by muckyboots
xx
Seed Tape

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 08:49
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 36 queries.