Japanese Onions

• 9 Replies

MoreWhisky

Japanese Onions
« on: May 20, 2010, 21:50 »
My Japanese Onions have started to fill out nicely this last week, they are already bigger than golf balls. Am really looking forward to them being ready after all this time.

How are everybody elses?  as i seem to be the only one growing them on our site.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Japanese Onions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 21:55 »
Loads of people have grown them this year on my site.  They seem to be the new onion trend!

I tried them a couple of years ago, but for me they bolted too easily, and after talking to other growers they found the same happened with theirs.

Good luck!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 21:56 »
Similar size - we ate one the other day.  I've never grown them before, and was surprised how like spring onions they are!  A couple of years ago I left some White Lisbon in a raised bed and they went full size over winter - very similar end result, which makes me wonder why I bothered with Japanese onion sets!  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 22:31 »
The white lisbons we grew in a morrisons pot last year got forgotten in the winter.

They were over an inch across when I found them last week and were very tasty indeed  :D

Not winter white, just normal ones  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 22:37 »
Like peapod some of mine bolted but not before they'd put on enough size to be useful. I just bunged em in soup and stews. I still have some growing from last October which are now between golf ball and tennis ball size. They will give an earlier crop but I'm not sure if it's worth taking up the space when onions are so cheap anyway. Same with overwintered beans...mine are no further on than this years sown

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 22:39 »
got japanese onions on the plot and at home, the ones at home are a lot bigger, yet i've never fed them

.....and yet to eat one

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 23:47 »
Japanese onions do not store well so fill a gap before the main crop are ready. The JO can be eaten as you need them rather than needing to wait until June time to lift all in one go.

Mine are mostly piddly size this year (so far). Last year they were very respectable - different patch of land so this and the cold weather (late planting??) may be the cause.   
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

hogwarden

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 07:30 »
 :)Yep-got some of those. planted them as shop seedlings in Sept. and now have these big spring onion type. The info. on the box said protect from frost but i forgot and they survived all through?-starting to throw up flower spikes now -so time to get them eaten. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 07:32 »
They shouldn't need protecting from frost - that's why they're planted for over wintering.

Chop those flower spikes off, they will take energy from the bulb.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 15:45 »
:)Yep-got some of those. planted them as shop seedlings in Sept. and now have these big spring onion type. The info. on the box said protect from frost but i forgot and they survived all through?-starting to throw up flower spikes now -so time to get them eaten. :D

Are you sure they were Japanese onion sets? May have been made in China if they came ready sprouted and stated to protect from frost  :lol: - Very strange  :blink:

xx
Japanese onions

Started by diggin@diggle on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 16:38
by AnnieB
xx
japanese onions

Started by angel_stephen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 08:49
by fatbelly
xx
Japanese Onions

Started by Cleo on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 20:26
by SG6
xx
Japanese onions

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 21:01
by Jeanieblue

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 34 queries.