Turbo cider

• 62 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Re: Turbo cider
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2009, 07:26 »
Mine's still, so I've used screw top wine bottles. Fizzy mineral water bottles would work, so long as you don't pit too much sugar in to prime them. Half a teaspoonful per litre?
I use the plastic bottles you get flavoured water in from tesco, any bottle like that is fine. I'd prob put a bit more than half a teaspoon in, as I use half for 500mls

youngdigger

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 15:52 »
thanks scribbler, i, ll try the screw top wine bottles,have to empty them 1st though !!     

youngdigger

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2009, 20:47 »
hi, a silly question perhaps, but would this work with orange juice? never brewed anything before, but after seeing this forum, i now have one tc, and one white wine bubbling merrily away in the kitchen.

Scribbler

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2009, 20:50 »
I've got various grape mixtures on the go, but orange? Ask the electric guitar geezer.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

littlepete

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 17:32 »
hi all
i make my own wine and i am going to have  a go at making turbo cider i have bought 4 litres of tesco pure apple juice from concentrate i am led to believe that if you boil it first that gets rid of any additives would this work.
cheers
cor blimey is that the time

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 20:13 »
If there are additives in your apple juice it will say on the carton usualy if it is ok for vegitarians it is additive free, i have used tescos apple juice and it was additive free----Fred
2 x Warrens, 5 x ex batts, 3 x Daughters, 5 x grandsons, 1 x granddaughter, 1 x wife, this is enough for 1 x man

Fredjones

• Fred`s web pages
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 20:17 »
Turbo cider is called turbo because it ferments quickly and that is because you use the sugar in the juice the more sugar you use the longer it takes and if you get it to 12% or higher it is apple wine not cider----Fred

Fredjones

• Fred`s web pages
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 23:24 »
This is Turbo cider

"Well this is as easy as it gets! (called Turbo Cider as it's so quick and easy).
Ingredients:
4.5 of pure apple juice
1 tsp yeast

Method:
1. Place 3 litres of Apple Juice into a demijohn (assuming everything is sterile)
2. Place 1 tsp yeast into the demijohn
3. Shake
4. Leave for 36-48 hrs to ferment then top up with remaining of the juice( can't fill right up at the start as it will foam quite a bit)
5. Leave to ferment out
6. Rack off and drink ( or if you like cider fizzy then prime as usual)

I thought I would try this out and I was very pleased with the results, it is sssooooo easy.

I used Tesco Value apple juice and SG was 1.042 so no sugar was necessary ( to get 5.5%-ish) but if you want cider stronger add sugar/honey or whatever.

Very good for a beginner  and an expert alike"

Fred

stompy

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2009, 14:04 »
Hey Fred

Im trying that one tonight.
Been to Asda and got princes pure apple juice on offer at the moment, 50p a litre.

How cheap is that  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Andy

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01 »
bit of a beginners question here  :)

I have 2 gallons of cider on the go started on the 8th dec. only occasional bubbles through air lock do I have to wait for it to clear before putting it into bottles ? (i did add some honey to the apple juice before I started!)
Thanx

Scribbler

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2009, 12:22 »
You can monitor clarity by shining a torch into the side of the container. If it looks to be getting progressively clearer then wait as long as you can. As far as fermentation is concerned, keep the airlock on until you can see any bubbles. The torch is useful for this too I find.

I've got three lots on the go. One with 2 lbs of sugar, one with 1 lb of sugar and another smaller container which is just fermented juice with no sugar added. Also have three lots of wine, each with a pound of sugar. One red grape juice, one white grape juice and one red and white mixed. All are clearing nicely.

Next experiment is to try using Golden Syrup. May sound a bit strange, but have used this in the past in beer-making. I used a standard lager kit, followed the instructions, but added a tin of Golden Syrup at the end. Then racked off into primed screw top cider bottles. No explosions, mercifully. Tasted great!!

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 14:01 »
Thank you scribbler,
 I can see another hobby about to develop  :lol:

gypsy

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2009, 20:14 »
My turbo cider cleared but it was too dry so I added sugar and of course it started to ferment again. How can I sweeten it? CC
Catherine

Scribbler

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2009, 09:16 »
I think you use Campden tablets to stop fermentation, but I have never used these. Also used for sterilisation, they kill off micro-organisms - including the live yeast. See further up the thread. Someone mentions this. I think you can use these without affecting the final flavour, as opposed to other sterilisation  substances such as sodium metabisulphite which may not be suitable.

Anyone expand on this please?

Cheers.

gypsy

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2009, 15:32 »
Thanks Scribbler. CC

xx
Turbo Cider

Started by Sadgit on Homebrew

22 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 20:26
by Jay Dubya
xx
Turbo Cider

Started by calli on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2007, 15:46
by calli
xx
turbo cider stalled??

Started by Will1983 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 13:22
by nobby90
xx
Turbo cider experiment - first results

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post September 28, 2012, 19:47
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 32 queries.