How to keep them from being bored?

• 3 Replies

dancing trousers

How to keep them from being bored?
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:51 »
Firstly hello properly.  I'm a brand new chicken keeper/owner/lover coming up for the week 2 anniversary of having my girls.  An Amber Lee (Sookie), A Black Star (Mrs Peckles) and a Bluebelle (Big Bird).  I worry that they may get bored, they have a fairly spacious enclosure and go free range in the garden every couple of days (once I've done the tedious chook proofing procedure!). Would an 'activity centre' be good?  They rush to the front of the netting whenever I appear, partly cupboard love I'm sure (where's the corn, where's the corn!) but I'm sure it's also because they're mad keen to get out into the garden again.  All advice would be welcome.
chooks.jpg

chookboy

Re: How to keep them from being bored?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 15:17 »
Our girls have a perfectly reasonable large run, but insist that come 8 o'clock, it is their legal right to roam the whole garden. They sit in the run crowing until they are let out!

When they do have to stay in the run and believe that there is no-one around to let them out, they behave perfectly 'chickenly' - scratting, dustbathing, etc

I think once you've given them free-run, that is it!!! They'll not be content with being confined, no matter how large the area.
I also find I have an entourage when I'm in the garden - whether I come bearing gifts or not! They follow me everywhere, just in case some mealworms drop from my pockets.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 15:32 »
They do like to be entertained  :)  I used to rearrange their straw bales for them to keep them busy and gave them a weekly weed pile to play in. Dust bath too of course is required.  They like plants and shrubs to hide in, plastic garden chairs to sit on (I kid you not  :lol:)  Mine had a huge viewing window so they didn't miss any comings and goings  :)  they do like a cabbage etc to peck at as well, and a sweetcorn cob will keep them, and you amused, for ages  :)

dancing trousers

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 19:33 »
Thanks folks, that's good advice and Chookboy I think you're right, mine have had a taste of the wider world and they shout to be let out into the garden (which they then trash!).  Love the sweetcorn cob idea, I shall get on to that.

xx
Help with bored chickens?

Started by Arlen on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 21:33
by karlooben
sad
Bored Cockerel???

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 11:15
by hillfooter
xx
bored chickens

Started by ali31fos on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 20:54
by ali31fos
xx
Bored Chickens

Started by Tykelad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 20:53
by min200

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 35 queries.