buying seeds

• 9 Replies

jambop

buying seeds
« on: March 19, 2019, 20:53 »

Why do seed companies insist on giving you far more seeds than you can actually use? Is it just a way to justify the high cost of seeds? I bought some seed today at the local Point Vert for example Parsnip cost 3.99€ for a packet of 3g of seed about 800 seeds ... who the hell can grow that number of parsnips even over three or four years let alone the two years that most "experts" say the are viable for. I have to say I normally buy my seeds from Premier seeds and they still give you too many ... but at a more reasonable cost. Maybe I am just being a bit stingy but some of these packet seed merchants are at the ham in my opinion.. end of grump  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: buying seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 22:00 »
Now this is purely a guess but probably logical!
My guess is it comes down to the amount of seed the plant produces, Say a cabbage will produce far more seed then say a chilli so they package a percentage of the seed the plant produces.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

al78

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 23:20 »
To guarentee you will have enough for your, or anyones needs, I've never heard anyone complain there was too much seed in the packet, but they may complain if there wasn't enough to recover for first sowing failure. You can always save some for next year and the year after. Some seed packets don't contain much seed, the little gem squash I grow only has eight seeds in the packet, although that is more than enough if we have a summer like last year.

I'm glad that packets like carrots have a lot of seed. I probably sow well over 1000 carrot seeds each year, and get about 20 carrots.

What you could do is ask around if anyone would be interested in starting a seed swap. We have one in Horsham every year where people can drop unwanted seeds in exchange for a packet of something they do want.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:54 »
Now this is purely a guess but probably logical!
My guess is it comes down to the amount of seed the plant produces, Say a cabbage will produce far more seed then say a chilli so they package a percentage of the seed the plant produces.
My theory is that it costs more to pack the seeds than it does to produce them, in most cases.  Again the amount of seed per pack of cabbage is outrageous as they are a very viable seed sow ten get nine seedlings  :lol:
On the point of viability a few years back I came across a pack of sweet one million tomato seeds. The seeds were a promo freeby and were... 12 years old ! There were ten seeds in the pack and I sowed them for fun thinking nothing would germinate... 10 days later  10 seedlings! And yet I have had onion seed thta has been unopened and in date at time of sowing and not one seed has germinated ! Just shows I suppose that all veg seeds have their limitations as Dirty Harry would say :lol:

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:55 »
I agree with the original "rant" to some extent. I've managed to accumulate a stack of half used seed packets. I try to go through them and sort out the ones that are past their used by date but still seem to have loads. You could try buying on line from Simply Seeds - they package small amounts. Or try the Real Seed Company for instructions on how to save your own seeds - I tried it with parsnips a couple of years ago and got loads of seeds that germinated very well

jambop

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 17:58 »
I agree with the original "rant" to some extent. I've managed to accumulate a stack of half used seed packets. I try to go through them and sort out the ones that are past their used by date but still seem to have loads. You could try buying on line from Simply Seeds - they package small amounts. Or try the Real Seed Company for instructions on how to save your own seeds - I tried it with parsnips a couple of years ago and got loads of seeds that germinated very well
I am very similar in habit I have lots of seeds from previous years some quite old. The problem with me is I hate waste! Anyway on the point of old seeds and viability I sowed some beetroot seeds just about ten days back they were from 2015 two varieties Boltardy and Cylindra... perfect germination... makes you wonder? I have just thrown out lots of old seeds too. But when time is relevant you cannot waste time hoping that something is going to happen. As to seed suppliers I swear by premier seeds they have a reasonable choice with very good pricing... still give you way too many seeds on their small packet range... which are only 99p per pack.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 18:56 »
I've been buying seeds that are sold of buy the G/C around September and then top up with the seeds I can't get from there from my usual suppliers I really haven't got a problem with the amount of seeds packed I just keep the unused seed in a dry place and use them the following year haven't had any probs doeing that

I also buy growers packs when and you see say cauliflower in the supermarkets selling for £1.40 it don't take long to get your seed money back does it! :D

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 20:38 »
I am very similar in habit I have lots of seeds from previous years some quite old. The problem with me is I hate waste! Anyway on the point of old seeds and viability I sowed some beetroot seeds just about ten days back they were from 2015 two varieties Boltardy and Cylindra... perfect germination... makes you wonder? I have just thrown out lots of old seeds too. But when time is relevant you cannot waste time hoping that something is going to happen. As to seed suppliers I swear by premier seeds they have a reasonable choice with very good pricing... still give you way too many seeds on their small packet range... which are only 99p per pack.
If you hate waste (as I do) I take it you are not a young nipper! I totally agree regarding the time aspect - I sowed some Boltardy a week or so ago and nothing seems to be happening. So do I sow again a newer packet or wait another week (it says 7 to 21 days for germination) and gnash my teeth at not having edible beetroot three weeks earlier? Isn't gardening interesting - usually drives me to red wine (thank The Lord)!

jambop

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 08:11 »

If you hate waste (as I do) I take it you are not a young nipper! I totally agree regarding the time aspect - I sowed some Boltardy a week or so ago and nothing seems to be happening. So do I sow again a newer packet or wait another week (it says 7 to 21 days for germination) and gnash my teeth at not having edible beetroot three weeks earlier? Isn't gardening interesting - usually drives me to red wine (thank The Lord)!
No defo not a nipper... but not ancient  :lol: The beetroot I sowed was a poly tunnel sown experiment as even down here it is still too early to sow out doors... had a grass frost last night, second night in a row ! But had I not been doing that experiment  would I have chanced a sowing when the time was right? Probably not you just don't want to waste time if they don't germinate do you?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:12 by jambop »

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 19:25 »
Since I sow all but carrots & parsnips & the occasional row of beetroot in modules or in pots I start with my oldest seeds & if I’m suspect about them I don’t put the packet away so that if I they don’t germinate I can dispose of them. This year I’m not sure quite what I’ll do as I’ve not sown anything yet as I’ve been unwell. I’m aware I might not have the benefit of time to allow myself this usual approach.
I suppose my answer is why worry that you’ve got too many seeds you could always grow them as micro leaves.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Buying your seeds?

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 28, 2024, 06:07
by bobbyt
xx
Buying Seeds Now?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 16:07
by New shoot
xx
buying seeds etc

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2007, 19:18
by philmay
xx
Buying Seeds for 2010

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 21:50
by The Norfolk Turkey

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 48 queries.