Dogwood

• 7 Replies

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Dogwood
« on: February 02, 2008, 15:18 »
I bought a Dogwood today for 7.99- its for Ginger guinea Pig's tomn/pot as he only has an ornamental cabbage at the moment.

The Dogwood is very tall - and very friendly it kept sticking its tendrils in my ears on the way home - is it the sort of thing that I could prune at the top so it gets bushier but not taller?

Selkie

Dogwood
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 15:23 »
I'm sure dogwood is something that gets cut back each year so keep the stems brightly coloured?

I've never grown it myself so that's about the limit of my knowledge on the subject I'm afraid :wink:

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Dogwood
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 15:41 »
Its still a lot more than I know!

gobs

Dogwood
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 16:40 »
It's not commonly pruned and grown that way, Lou, see in Wizzy, Splodger wrote about it.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Lynne

Dogwood
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:44 »
I have several dogwoods and now is the time to give them a really hard cut back. You will soon get new growth this year to get the lovely stems next winter. If you don't cut them hard, they can get leggy and too big.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Dogwood
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 15:55 »
Its very leggy and huge now! - D I cut it back to the ground or to where there is a new branch growing?

I had to put it in the garden in the end - it needed a really big hole and I dug into gingers gravepot but came across maggots .... and hair!! Oohhh nooo.
So I abandoned that plan - planted a small twiggy thing my mum gave us [its got buds - no one has any idea what it is tho] in the pot instead and found a spot for the Dogwood near the back of the garden.

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Dogwood
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 20:38 »
id appreciate any advice re-where to cut back to - thanks.

Vegpot

Dogwood
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 16:22 »
I had some dogwood that I cut back very hard one year which ended up dead, so now I don't cut it back too hard on the main stems, I keep the bush as a whole about 3ft high and just keep the smaller ones short and that seems to work OK.  They change colour a lot in the winter months and can look a bit drab in the summer but they provide brilliant colour when the garden is dull, hope yours thrives!

xx
Pruning Dogwood

Started by Zippy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 23:52
by Zippy
xx
Prune dogwood when?

Started by JohnB47 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 11:34
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 32 queries.