advice please

• 6 Replies

catbalu

advice please
« on: April 29, 2011, 20:12 »
I have a cream leghorn, not very old though i don't know her exact age.  I've had her about 8 weeks along with another 2 hens.  She hasn't laid so far the other 2 have been laying regularly.  Today when i went to the run there was  somthing that looked like a piece of buff coloured plastic or rubber.  i wondered if it was an egg without a shell and no contents.  All the hens look perfectly fit and happy but i have no idea where else this could have come from.  Any ideas please.

bantam novice

Re: advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 20:21 »
Hello Catbalu and welcome to the forum.  :)
I'm not very experienced but what you describe sounds like a lash.  I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon with more advice.  In  the meantime good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

catbalu

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 22:01 »
oh. thanks for that.  is it serious. 

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 22:15 »
looks like one of your birds has laid a soft egg and they will have eaten the yolk.
this could be your cream legbar starting to lay and not quite getting it right. It should sort itself out.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 22:23 »
looks like one of your birds has laid a soft egg and they will have eaten the yolk.
this could be your cream legbar starting to lay and not quite getting it right. It should sort itself out.

just remember to make sure they have oestra .oyster shell available  ;)
still alive /............

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 23:34 »
A lash is laid by a chook who has got to the end of her laying life. I think it's part of her insides!
You found a soft egg and expect a few before she starts laying properly.
If you can retrieve a soft egg intact it is edible but you might be too squeamish!! :ohmy:

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 00:02 »
It sounds and very much looks like a lash to me.   These are thought to be associated with hormonal changes and are the sloughing off of part of the lining of the reproductive system.  They can get mixed up with an actual egg being laid and they can end up encased inside an egg though normally they disrupt the egg shell coating process and the egg is not coated with a normal shell.

They usually occur at the end of the egg production life of a hen and can herald the end of her egg laying lifecycle.  However they can also occur at the start and the bird can go on to lay normally.  Provided no longterm damage to the reproductive system has occured your hen may well start to lay normally.  Keep an eye on her for signs of egg binding and internal laying until it is clear which way she is going ie normal egg laying hopefully.

I'm not sure this condition is connected with other egg laying issues like soft eggs or shelless eggs or thin shelled eggs so personally I wouldn't attempt to feed supplements to increase calcium intake.  Just keep nutrition simple, layers pellets ad lib and hand fed poultry corn in the evening,  no treat feeds until things settle down.  Mixed grit with oystershell should be provided ad lib but don't force feed by adding to her feed.  Fresh water should be provided daily.  If her reproductive system is out of balance there's little sence in risking further imbalance.

HF
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 00:04 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
After some advice please

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 23:14
by Lindeggs
xx
Advice Please.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 20:19
by richyrich7
xx
looking for advice

Started by Bilbo67 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 10:40
by joyfull

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.