advice please on my new hen

• 1 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
advice please on my new hen
« on: May 04, 2010, 21:51 »
Well i seem to be not having a good start as far as my new girlies.   I orignally got two, a barnavelder and an isa brown how after a couple of days i took back due to her being a very bad feather pecker, that breeder didnt have any other birds for sale so i sourced another guy and had a very lengthy chat to him on the phone, so two new birds arrived from him in the form of an amber star and a speckledy.  They started laying the end of last yr.   Now i will admit they are now living in chookingham palace compared to where they came from, not great conditions atall and to be honest i dont think they even saw the outside world but that is not for me to comment on the way other people choose to keep there birds.   So a few days after these girls arrived the speckledy seemed to be a bit snuffly, i wasnt really alarmed by this as i remember before last yr when i got my very first two chooks after a few days of them arriving they too became snuffly, antibiotics sorted them out no probs.( they were from someone completey different)     So back to the new birds, i contacted the guy and he came out to see her, he agreed they speckledy was snuffley and put it down to a new home and the change of temp to were they were kept. (they were in a small barn)    I went to the vets on saturday and got some antibiotics, Terramicyn (sp) yellow powder that goes in their water, started them sunday.   Hubby and i just checked on them tonight and the speckledy is still very congested sounding.   I know i have to give the anitibiotics time to work.  Shes got clear eyes, very clear nostrils and is clean of bugs and nasties, no bubbles in eyes.   In herself she is fantastic, shes very alert, eating, drinking, running around the place, scratching, dust bathing and most of all laying eggs, which she started doing on sunday, she had a few days there of not laying but i put that down to change/stress of move.   The other two are perfectly fine.   My question is when i have finished the course, and she still sounds the same shall i leave her for a couple of weeks to see if she settles or take her back to the vet straight away, can some hens generally sound congested without there being anything wrong with them.     Nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: advice please on my new hen
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:10 »
I would give her the full course then if she is still the same ring your vet. She may need a slightly longer course of treatment.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
I want some advice please

Started by eggsandgardens on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 17:52
by mumsy
xx
Fox advice

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 13:07
by ANHBUC
xx
Oh Oh....i have a Rat! Advice?

Started by ScottBarton on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 21:42
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 29 queries.